mail bouncing instead of rejecting

Chrysalis

Verified User
Its becoming more apparent in my recent experience that the current exim.conf template used by directadmin (accept and scan) needs modifying to update to todays climate.

In the past bouncing emails in situations when a mail box is full or if the account doesnt exist was fine but now it isnt and it is instead now reccomended practice to reject such emails prior to the email been accepted by the recieving server. This avoids backscatter scenarios where you bouncing back spam to non existant addresses.

The default directadmin config can cause the server to be blacklisted in places like CBL who will list servers that backscatter spam.

I have been trying various ways to reliably prevent outgoing spam bounces but its proving diffilcult. The ultimate solution would certianly be to reject email to full/nonexistant boxes before its even scanned and accepted but this isnt easy in exim as I see on the exim mailing lists the developer wasnt cooperative and the proposed solutions not very compatible with the DA setup.

What I have done so far is configured a system_filter file that checks for the following on outgoing emails.

It checks if the email is initiated by localhost (the case for bounces)
It checks for spam headers that get created by spamassassin for spam such as ***SPAM*** subject and X-Spam-Flag: YES.
It checks for the term 'mailbox is full' in the message body.

This will block outgoing mail that has been marked as spam by spamassassin and any bounces that are as a result of a full mailbox. This isnt a reccomended practice tho since a genuine sender has no indication of a problem on failed delivery. However I feel its superior to bouncing spam.

In addition I also mark any outgoing email with a new unique key in the headers, any mail recieved with the from address that matches a domain on the server will be checked for this key, if the key doesnt exist the email is rejected. This prevents incoming spam that appears to come from yourself (backscattered spoofed).

If anyone has successfully done what I am trying to achieve it would be good if can respond here thanks, also any thoughts from you Jeff on this.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding; I've had to make many trips to our Los Angeles datacenter in the recent past, working for one client. Each trip takes an entire day, which puts me behind quite a bit.

I've been studying how to block email based on full mailboxes; it's not simple, but it is doable. It may take me a while but I'm going to try to give it higher priority.

Please read this and let me know what you think.

Is this method (the best I've found so far) usable in your estimation?

Jeff

is what I have tried, the guy written a script however I couldnt get the script to work on a DA box due to the different layout of the maildir locations. I am useless at php coding as well so was not able to modify the script he supplied.

If someone can get that script to work on a DA box so it can reliably detect if quota is full or not then it should work on a DA box.

Perhaps this could be used in combination with the e-mail disk usage caching feature of DirectAdmin:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=642.

Code:
# cat /etc/virtual/domain.com/usage.cache | grep "test"
test:imap=0&inbox=0&spam=0&total=0&webmail=0

The quota can be gathered from

Code:
/etc/virtual/domain.com/quota

Though there still needs to be comparison between

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/user.conf

and

Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/user.usage

as well. What is your idea on this?

Sounds very interesting. Anyone care to code it and I can add it into my test copy of exim.conf.

Jeff

Back