Is there a firewall plugin alternative to CSF?

snowweb

Verified User
Antipolo City, Rizal, Philippines (a British Natio
Hi, I just uninstalled CSF firewall plugin for DA, because it seemed to block everything, even when running, but explicitly configured to block nothing (yet).

I run on a VPS and have the Parallels control panel, which provides a basic firewall, but I'm not sure that it is powerful enough to give the protection I want.

Ideally, I would like a quality open source or free plugin for DA which is both user-friendly and also powerful.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

peter

Wait...if you're using Plesk, why are you asking for a DA plugin?

I did not hear hem say Plesk, did you ?
"I run on a VPS and have the Parallels control panel"
I assumed he meant Plesk since that's what Parallels' control panel is. Though I suppose I may just be jumping to conclusions

If you like to use the firewall on your virtual you need to go to command line (SSH) and make some changes to permit the firewall to the virtual.
Extracted from the OpenVZ manual said:
The OpenVZ kernel provides support for additional iptables modules that are not loaded
automatically. If you want any of these modules to be loaded either to the Hardware Node or,
additionally, to any particular VPSs, you should do some manual operations.

Look at the 'OpenVZ Manual' chapter 'Advanced Task' section 'Loading iptables Modules' (page 69).

Tested on a 'Proxmox VE 1.1' distro with CentOS 4.7 and 5.3 as virtual openVZ containers.

Hope this help,
Ramon

I'm actually still running APF and BFD and it works great. Haven't had a need to change it in a long time :D

Thanks guys.

Dravu, I don't have plesk (as far as I know). I had a choice of several different hosting control panels (cpanel, and plesk were some of them) but I chose DA, although I still have a higher level access to the server, which is via Paralells. Sorry if I confused you, I didn't know that Paralells is also a part of Plesk.

Thanks Ramon, will checkout the advanced modules of my Parallels firewall. I didn't know they existed.

Truenegative, will checkout APF & BFD.

Thanks everyone for your info. Plenty here to look into :)

pete

The CSF problems may be down to the fact that your VPS is on a Virtuozzo host. The admin of the host node may already be filtering traffic for you or have a ruleset pre-defined on the container.

If you need a basic firewall just yell and ill paste one.

The CSF problems may be down to the fact that your VPS is on a Virtuozzo host. The admin of the host node may already be filtering traffic for you or have a ruleset pre-defined on the container.

If you need a basic firewall just yell and ill paste one.

Thanks buddy. I'll let you know as I'm currently checking out the APF recommended by Ramon.

Regards,

pete

The Parallels control panel refers to is most likely managing Virtuozzo, which is a commercial virtualization product published by Parallels.

Jeff

The Parallels control panel refers to is most likely managing Virtuozzo, which is a commercial virtualization product published by Parallels.

Jeff
ah. That explains it. Never knew who the company was that owned Virtuozzo.

Back