Domain hosted with DA,SMTP unable to send mail to domn's foreign mail exchange server

sych

Verified User
Hi
I have the following problem: there is a domain and it's www data is hosted on my server running DA. The mail server is situated on third party's servers. Domain's DNS is fully managed by third parties too.

Meaning, I only host the web site, the DNS, e-mail and stuff is not mine at all.

Now, there is a PHP script that is sending e-mails to a mail box in that domain, and it is not possible to send that email because server's local DNS tells to sendmail that that domain's mail exchange is hosted locally. It does not know that it should not handle that domain's mail at all, but rather rout it to domain's real mx.
The same problem is with SMTP on the same machine that hosts the site - when me or my other users try to send mail to that domain via my SMTP server they get the "Unknown user" message even before the message gets processed. It checks local e-mail users in that domain and sees that there is no such mailbox, without knowing that mx is on the other server.

How do I solve this?
I guess I have to make SMTP service to know that it should get the MX record for that domain not from local DNS?

Thanks.

I think I got it, in user level in domain there is a "MX record" link under the "E-mail management" section, if I uncheck the checkbox "Use this server to handle my emails" it works. It did not work because I hadto set moth MX record and uncheck this option.

But the question remains: do I have to set all the MX records manually?? What if the third party changes addresses of mail servers? They will not notify me, and the mail will be routed to wrong mail server. Is there a solution?

What if the third party changes addresses of mail servers? They will not notify me, and the mail will be routed to wrong mail server. Is there a solution?

Yes. Get them to notify you or do not use them.

You wrote that you're using third party DNS. MX records don't need to be changed for IP# changes because MX records should point to URLs which don't change. If you're using an extrnal mailserver from a company that changes URLs without notifying you then you shouldn't be using them; you'll have lots of problems. But changing IP#s, while it shouldn't happen often, shouldn't be a problem.

We highly recommend NOT using your local DNS server for domain resolution. The IP#s of the nameservers listed in your /etc/resolv.conf file should not point to your server.

Jeff

Back