Feature Request: Option for no DNS

Just to chime in here. I'd like to see a hosting only feature in DA. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than the official implemetation and support of DA Support's suggestion of creating the Custom Package Items and domain_create_post.sh. I'm not much of a script kiddie, so I didn't put much effort into getting these things to work so I just did it the manual way: commented out the zone file from named.conf and removed the domain from /etc/virtual/domains. Seems to be working fine, but if this user ever wants me to host his DNS, I'd much rather have a switch I can check to turn it back in instead of having to keep editing system files.

A DA proper knob to enable and disable this is certainly the best option.

for the sake of simplicity

Ok i think for the sake of simplicity following are the issues

1. If we host dns, website and not the email the mailer scripts on the website fail to work

2. other domains on same server sending emails to the domain managing website on same server but emails elsewhere will fail to receive emails from them

3. if we do not host dns and just website the emailer scripts fails to send email to website domain's email users

There are numerous other scenarios! So i wish for this feature as well; instead of having to go and edit files manually... YES a proper checkbox in domain user's configuration or admin's config will be a good thing to have so that we can have the server lookup dns locally for email Or Not.:)

For your concerns 1 and 2:

If you go to user interface and change MX record these problems will be solved.

For your concern 3:

Only if you're using your local dns server as a cacheing (recursive) nameserver, in your /etc/resolv.conf file. You shouldn't do this.

Jeff

I would too like to see an option for adding a domain without a zone. Sometimes customers have their domains somewhere else (other DNS servers) and only point specific records to that DA server. Another situation is for example a hosting provider with multiple DA servers: da1.provider.com, da2.provider.com, da3.provider.com, daN.provider.com,
in this case I would like to host the `provider.com` domain on an external non-DA DNS server and and be able to setup these domains as the main domain for each DA server, without having there a zone hosted, because I'm already managing the main zone (provider.com) somewhere else.

:)

Would you be wanting to run external DNS servers?

I would too like to see an option for adding a domain without a zone. Sometimes customers have their domains somewhere else (other DNS servers) and only point specific records to that DA server. Another situation is for example a hosting provider with multiple DA servers: da1.provider.com, da2.provider.com, da3.provider.com, daN.provider.com,
in this case I would like to host the `provider.com` domain on an external non-DA DNS server and and be able to setup these domains as the main domain for each DA server, without having there a zone hosted, because I'm already managing the main zone (provider.com) somewhere else.

:)

Yes, I have few domains on external non-DA DNS servers but I still want to have some records pointing to that DA server, like A or MX without having the whole zone on that DA. I have customers which host their domains (DNS, MX) somewhere else but websites are running on my DA server.

I found this http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1027 but it's really hard to understand without knowing what "local domain data" is. Is it local data in the zone file, or website content in public_html dirs?

Directadmin allows Multi-server functioning and in this case a directadmin server has DNS zones of local users and DNS zones from remote servers and remote users. So a domain marked as local is hosted on the same DA server, and a domain not marked as local is hosted on another server, it might be even a server without DA, if an admin added a zone without adding a domain on the DA-server.

Whether or not Directadmin creates a DNS zone it does not limit you from using remote DNS servers. If you don't want your customers to use DNS function you can simply disable it in an user's package. Close 53 port with Firewall and that's it.

Even if you use remote DNS servers why not to use Directamin interface to manage a zone? It can be easily integrated with remote NameServers through API and by other means: Named, PowerDNS etc.

I believe an option for "external DNS control" would be really helpful, I had run into this issue a couple of times with customers taking forever to migrate a domain, yet they add it to the new server and out of sudden they are not receiving emails from their other domains etc. This flag would fix that as currently we just give the domain a temporal fake name to work around this and change the name just for the migration.

Back