Bandwith counting ProFTP

digi

Verified User
Hello,

I've got a user which has to try to delete a lot of data, which create a loop of ours to delete it.

The ProFTP log show the following: (just one row of a lot, place it in a loop)

Code:
::ffff: [I]ip.from.user.pc[/I] UNKNOWN [I]username[/I] [29/Jul/2009:13:52:35 +0200] "DELE filename.gif" 250 12056251

My Questions, how count DA this, create this also real traffic?

thanks.

DirectAdmin will count the actual traffic sent (i.e., the instructions to delete the file). It will not count the length of the file, because the file is being deleted, not moved anywhere.

Jeff

DirectAdmin will count the actual traffice sent (i.e., the instructions to delete the file). It will not count the length of the file, because the file is being deleted, not moved anywhere.

The files are 300Mb toghether. The delete command gets in a loop, 6 hours long, so DA counted 870Gb of traffic.
You mean this is only for the command, and not the files or any file?

Hello,

I've never actually looked into what exactly proftpd is logging...
however, DA grabs the log data from:

/var/log/proftpd/*.bytes

That file is logged with:
Code:
LogFormat               userlog "%u %b"
and from the proftpd docs, the %b variable represents:
%b Bytes sent for request
So what exactly that means, I'm not too sure.. but I'm under assumption that it would mean everything transferred, requests, and files, are included in that total.

I'm not too sure if that actually comes out ot 870gig... that does seem a bit high. If you can duplicate it, check the bytes logs and see what's being added to them by proftpd. DA rotates them daily, so if the tally has already been run, it's hard to say what was being logged to cause it.

John

Back