What to Update?

boonchuan

Verified User
After the roundcube shock, I was wondering what software should we routinely upgrade? Also will such upgrades for eg PHP safe such that existing applications will not break and cause inconvenience for users?

Presuming you're using CentOS and have the proper exclude line in your yum.conf file, you can run yum automatically every night through a cronjob.

You should be running custombuild instead of customapache.

You should set custombuild to warn you by email when changes are made; then run custombuild whenever there's an important security update, or monthly or so for other updates.

Jeff

Wondering what the proper exclude line(s) would be in this case. trying to make my server better and any information would be a blessing.

Presuming you're using CentOS and have the proper exclude line in your yum.conf file, you can run yum automatically every night through a cronjob.

You should be running custombuild instead of customapache.

You should set custombuild to warn you by email when changes are made; then run custombuild whenever there's an important security update, or monthly or so for other updates.

Jeff

The exclude line I use has been posted several times in these forums.

Jeff

The exclude line I use has been posted several times in these forums.

Jeff
I did a little bit of digging and this is what is in my yum.conf file

Code:
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php*

Anything else worth considering?

DirectAdmin does this at install time:

Code:
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*

I don't remember the history of excluding perl; perhaps someone else does. It may be an issue with something dependent on perl which may no longer work. For example perhaps somerthing from CPAN may not work after perl is updated through yum.

I don't know that it's important to exclude it; from time to time I've removed it from the exclude line, and then updated it, then readded it.

Back