Upgrade to Dovecot

bladetmc

Verified User
With my new server i also got dovegot installed and everything got transferred correctly. Only problem is that we used an unknow feature when reading mail:

A user with multiple email accounts on the old mailserver could read all his mail by IMAP, which looked like this.

USER_X
- domainx.com
--IMAP folder X
-- [email protected]
-- [email protected]
--IMAP folder Y
- domainy.com
-- IMAP folder
-- [email protected]

To be clear, this is not the reseller reading ALL domains, but just a user with his domains.

In the new situation there is nothing visible when reading the USER_X mailbox, is this a limitation of Dovecot? Because everything looks converted well.

I dont get the question... What do you mean reading mailbox? You login to each one seperately.

There use to be an option to read the mailbox with only the main user account, instead of de emailaddress.

Logging in with the username reveald all the mailboxes underneath that username. (Likes its seeing all those as IMAP folders).

Hahaha. Seems like an exploit to me. You shouldnt be able to login to other accounts.

They arent other accounts, they are my accounts on my user. If the admin or reseller could do that, ofcourse that would be an exploit and a security problem.

Admin > Reseller > My Account > My Email/domains.

If reading my own stuff means an exploit, its time that common sense meets the programmer. Functionally its preferable to be able to choose :)

Well at least dovecot is smart and doesnt allow it. :D

Let's start at the beginning: Are you using DirectAdmin now? Were you using it previously? If not, then you're asking in the wrong place.

Since DirectAdmin supports the user email account completely separately than it does the virtual email addresses for the user, I don't see how a DirectAdmin server could do this.

If you're writing about a DirectAdmin server which previously allowed this, and now doesn't, once you've converted to Dovecot, then yes, there's an imap command that Dovecot doesn't support. If Dovecot doesn't support it, then there's no way DirectAdmin could support it.

For what it's worth, if I'm going to have to agree with user scsi; I sure wouldn't want my manager to be able to log into my user account with his email login.

Jeff

Why will i post in DA forums if i dont have DA :D

But here we go, we went from custom apache to custom build.
Second i own the server, your boss owns the people who owns the server, so they can READ it if they want to. So i see no reason at all to disable it.

Also why does Direct Admin creates a main mail login for each user as a catch all sort of adres, but can't read it.

So if this is impossible, how can i get another work around for not to create and maintain 30 accounts in outlook (Hence my problem due to the change functionality, exploit or not).

Never mind this, good to know a good technician gave me another "exploit"

Long live exploits :D (Or rather GOOD functionality, when not poorly judged)

Why will i post in DA forums if i dont have DA :D
Lots of people ask questions in these forums which have nothing to do with DirectAdmin. So I don't make possibly erroneous presumptions.
But here we go, we went from custom apache to custom build.
Second i own the server, your boss owns the people who owns the server, so they can READ it if they want to. So i see no reason at all to disable it.
I don't believe DirectAdmin disabled it. Have you asked the question on a Dovecot forum?
Also why does Direct Admin creates a main mail login for each user as a catch all sort of adres, but can't read it.
DirectAdmin doesn't create the user-level email account; that's a function of all posix complian operating systems, such as Linux, Unix, and BSD.

DirectAdmin can certainly read mail sent to the email address. And you can even create a catchall forward to send all email to that email address if that's what you want to do, though it's not recommend as it will allow spammers using dictionary attacks to flood your inbox.
So if this is impossible, how can i get another work around for not to create and maintain 30 accounts in outlook (Hence my problem due to the change functionality, exploit or not).
Instead of creating 30 email accounts in DirectAdmin create 30 forwards, all to your man user email account.

Jeff

Back