random bugs

nuclear

Verified User
Just installed DA on a fresh version of FreeBSD8. Noticed a few random bugs along the way...

1) I removed subdomains from 2 domains and had the DNS zones for those domains completely disappear and could not rebuild them. Was forced to restore backups.

2) When restoring backups (Made on a FreeBSD 7 server) ftp accounts did not restore.

3) Install failed because of an error in proftpd.sh

I was forced to change the following and run install.sh manually.

Code:
if [ "$B64" -gt 0 ]; then
        if [ "$OS_VER" = "8.0" ] || [ "$OS_VER" = "8.1" ]
                /usr/sbin/pkg_add -f da_proftpd-1.3.3.tgz
        else
                /usr/sbin/pkg_add -f da_proftpd-1.3.2.tgz

to

Code:
if [ "$B64" -gt 0 ]; then
        if [ "$OS_VER" = "8.0" ] || [ "$OS_VER" = "8.1" ]; then
                /usr/sbin/pkg_add -f da_proftpd-1.3.3.tgz
        else
                /usr/sbin/pkg_add -f da_proftpd-1.3.2.tgz

Hello,

1) I tried to duplicate this issue but couldn't. The subdomain deletion worked as expected on our test system.
Perhaps grab the pre-release binaries to get the latest version of DA:
https://www.directadmin.com/clients

click the license and follow the pre-release instructions.
If it persists, check the /var/log/directadmin/error.log

2) Did you get any error message in DA? If you got no response at all (DA didn't seemed to do anything) then ensure the task.queue is running:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=107

3) This has been fixed.. any new download of FreeBSD 8 64-bit update.tar.gz should have the fixed script.

John

1) This seems random. I can't duplicate it willingly and there have been nothing in the logs to hint at an error.

2) No errors; ftp.passwd files are just blank despite them not being blank in the backup.

1) I'll keep my eyes open for this.

2) Check to ensure that the User account has been allocated more than 0 ftp accounts. Check the user.conf for this setting for the User.

Also, only if it's an "owned" IP would the accounts end up in:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/ftp.passwd

Shared IP accounts go into /etc/proftpd.passwd

Related:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=122

John

Also: make sure the server has plenty of free disk space in all writable slices.

Jeff

I finally isolated the problem with my DNS zones being wiped out. I have a zone that is modified remotely using nsupdate. Having DA make any changes to that zone results in a file that only contains an SOA record.

The only differences in the zone files I see are the use of $ORIGIN while DA doesn't use this.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is the DNS zone managed elsewhere? If so, then you shouldn't be managing it through DirectAdmin.

Jeff

I'm not sure what you mean. Is the DNS zone managed elsewhere? If so, then you shouldn't be managing it through DirectAdmin.

Jeff

Not entirely. I use nsupdate to keep an A record updated for that particular zone; which ultimately formats the zone file differently. Doing anything to modify the zone (adding/deleting subdomains as an example) through DA causes the zone to be blank except the SOA record.

Ultimately it's no big deal as I can put my modifications in a subdomain zone file not managed by DA, but I thought I'd mention the cause for the problem anyway.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the Insulation manual code, It is really helpful.
I spend a lot of time trying to solve it by my self but didn't succeeded.
Now Its working just fine. :)

Back