Joomla hosting need good guide

gmcfuerte

Verified User
Hello direct administrated from all the world!
I tried to make a big jump going to a virtual machine with plex and virtuozzo to a dedicated server.
My machine got a debian 5 Lenny in RAID and the defoult installation of direct admin that u can find here
http://www.seflow.it/assistenza/article.php?id=035

I think that "apt-get remove wget" was put there for selling more tecnical support not included but i reached to install direct admin.

Now... almost all of my sites are made with joomla 1.5 and some old sites with 1.0 i tryed to find a complete guide to installa and configure a debian machine(or I should call it a direct admin machine,tool is very owner of the so for me).
I reached to let sites work but i still have some problem with directory access from joomla

some of the basic step i founded where about

chwon -R www-data.www-data public_html
chmod -R 775 public_html

and give some more to some other files and directory that have to write or create files.

Please if u can make a complete guide or u finded one on-line post it there.
If u finded something for updating mysql and php to the best recomanded by joomla versions in a easy way and without having a version mix please help me and other joomla users!
Thankyou!

GMC

Requirements for Joomla 1.5.x
Software Recommended Minimum
PHP* 5.2 + 4.3.10
MySQL** 4.1.x + 3.23
Apache***
(with mod_mysql, mod_xml,
and mod_zlib) 2.x + 1.3

Last edited:
Hi,

What you need is to update LAMP and DA separate.
DirectAdmin doesn't update php etc for you.
You have root accesss to the dedicated server ?
or some kind of managed contract with the hoster ?

I have direct root access to my server
the problem is by now that the owner of the public html must be some group comprending Direct admin users and jommla/apache user.
is there a Group of direct andmin exixting and future users?
Do you think that i can put apache user in this group?
some one speack about changing something into cgi mode, do you think this will be a solution?
thx!
GMC

the problem is by now that the owner of the public html must be some group comprending Direct admin users and jommla/apache user.
is there a Group of direct andmin exixting and future users?
Do you think that i can put apache user in this group?
There's no such group. If there was one it would create many security issues; break in to one site could affect all sites on the server.
some one speack about changing something into cgi mode, do you think this will be a solution?
If it wasn't me it could have been. We run PHP as CGI mode so that all files in each site are owned by the individual user and run by that user. Best for security.

You can also use what you've got now and run a cronjob from time to time to change all files owned by apache to owned by the specific user. You'll need a specific cronjob for each user, run by root.

Jeff

MySQL error - you are not the owner

Dear all

I created a dummy website with Joomla in my local computer (with xampp installed), and now, I am trying to move the website to the webserver.

I understand from the online tutorials that I need to move all the files in htdocs folder to the server (which I already did) and import the sql database from my local machine. I have problems here..

No problems in exporting the database (.gz format), however, I could not import it (using "MySQL control" link in DirectAdmin home).. I get an .. "You are not the owner" error. I have the username/password .. but doesnt ask for it.

Has someone faced a similar problem, and found a solution?

Thanks!

prolly you exported the "create database" too.. and.. u have no root mysql access for create database, by the way ive many customers using joomla without those big problems.

PM me so i can maybe help you.

Sono italiano quindi puoi scrivermi in italiano.
Trad: im italian so you can write me in italian.

Regards

There's no such group. If there was one it would create many security issues; break in to one site could affect all sites on the server.

If it wasn't me it could have been. We run PHP as CGI mode so that all files in each site are owned by the individual user and run by that user. Best for security.

You can also use what you've got now and run a cronjob from time to time to change all files owned by apache to owned by the specific user. You'll need a specific cronjob for each user, run by root.

Jeff
where i have to check the "run PHP as CGI mode "?
thanks

GMC

Hello,

where i have to check the "run PHP as CGI mode "?

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build options | grep ^PHP

and/or

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
cat options.conf | grep ^php._

Back