chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/blacklist_senders
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts_ip
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/whitelist_senders
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/skip_av_domains
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/skip_rbl_domains

That should be the default for a new installation server with your spamblocker right?

Maybe you should add those line as "default" installation command lines

That should be the default for a new installation server with your spamblocker right?
Yes.
Maybe you should add those line as "default" installation command lines
There is no installation for Spamblocker-Powered exim.conf, Version 4. Maybe when it becomes part of DirectAdmin.

Note that there may be a file used in the exim.conf file distributed by DirectAdmin which is not used in my newer versions, if I recall correctly.

Jeff

yes i know there is no installation but maybe a little how to in your readme file like

wget URL
mv /etc/exim.conf /etc/exim.conf.backup
mv DOWNLOADED FILE /etc/exim.conf
touch/chwon file command list and then edit exim.conf for customizations

i think this should be a nice stuff to put in there for users :)

btw if im not wrong touch dont "do nothing" if a file already exist so that wouldnt give problem to directadmin original files

ofc if the spamblocker become the default exim file those "stuffs" will be made by installation but for now you should just add to readme...

this is my opinion, whatever you will choose to do, thanks for your work and support

best regards

I'm not sure if I will change the ReadMe or not; it depends on my time. It does say, near the top, exactly which files you need.

The touch command also changes the last modified date of the file (the one shown by default with the ls -l command), but that shouldn't affect anything unless you've written a sophisticated content management system for the files that keeps track of the dates.

Jeff

this looks interesting Jeff in that you now enable sender verify again when in the past you discouraged it.

Will this block email from senders who send from a no reply address?

Also what is the exact risk of allowing unauthed outlook connections?

Sender Verify, when checking email addresses not on your server, only checks that the domain name exists. So I no longer see it as a problem, and it shouldn't affect mail from senders with a no-reply email address.

The risk isn't from allowing unauthorized outlook connections; the risk is from allowing anyone who doesn't authenticate to relay email through your server. So we require authorization (always have).

The problem isn't requiring authorization; the problem is that when mail is authenticated by popb4smtp it's subject to the new rule that checks against illegal helo syntax. Blocking the illegal helo syntax, which breaks authentications using popb4smtp, keeps a lot of spam from reaching your users.

Jeff

ok but I am trying to understand why you simply didnt excempt popb4smtp from the helo check. It would be a very rare situation for someone who has logged in successful over pop on the server to then be sending spam. Or am I missing something obvious.

thanks for replying.

ok but I am trying to understand why you simply didnt excempt popb4smtp from the helo check.
Because I don't know how to do it.

Do you?

Can you find out?

Note that anyway you look at it, popb4smtp is and has been a kluge, since port 587 was designated the submission port. It's what everyone should use.

However, let me know what you find; if it's easy enough to do I suppose we could do it.

Jeff

Jeff

I agree its a kludge but people wont change habits easily.

would this work by adding a line like this?

# 1st deny checks if it's a hostname or IPV4 address with dots or IPV6 address
deny message = R1: HELO should be a FQDN or address literal (See RFC 2821 4.1.1.1)
!authenticated = *
!hosts = +auth_relay_hosts
condition = ${if match{$sender_helo_name}{\N^\[\N}{no}{yes}}
condition = ${if match{$sender_helo_name}{\N\.\N}{no}{yes}}

Give it a try and let me know

I'd like to finish updates before the end of the year so the newest version can become officially sanctioned and distributed by DirectAdmin.

Jeff

Hello

Im being asked from Yahoo the bounce rate to become a "bulk email sender" with Yahoo.

They blocked a server IP because of a hacked web account that sent out alot of spam.

I know the bounces work for 2 days.
Frozen after 3 days.

But is there a bounce timing between each bounce ?

Thx for your help,
Sky

ok I have tested this.

my changes are fine, but I did find a problem with one of the settings.

Code:
# Remaining Mailer-Daemon messages must be for us
    accept senders = :
           domains = +relay_domains

causes this error.

Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

The mail's blocked by it are mails sent from server cron daemons, so things like tripwire reports and daily logs etc.

Hello Chrysalis

Thanks alot... dont understand why i did not see it ... We are sometimes blind to the most obvious things.

Hope i can get Yahoo to take us out of the BL.

Sky

Code:
# Remaining Mailer-Daemon messages must be for us
    accept senders = :
           domains = +relay_domains
causes this error.
Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
The mail's blocked by it are mails sent from server cron daemons, so things like tripwire reports and daily logs etc.
To what addresses are the bounced emails being sent? Do they exist? On your local server?

Jeff

To what addresses are the bounced emails being sent? Do they exist? On your local server?

Jeff

they been sent to my own email address and does exist. The server's sending the emails are not local so dont have the address locally.

about this problem ive a question... if a customer send email with majordomo and that email doesnt exist and come back.. how can the majordomo list owner see the error message from mailer-system?

i mean, he dont see if a mail come back with "email doesnt exist" error so he dont delete the email from the list and that should be a cause of problem with yahoo for example..

anyone know how see those error mails with majordomo or redirect majordomo sent errors to a pop mail?

thanks

Back