MySQL 5.5

I had problems upgrading to 5.5 and MySQL wouldn't start so I have just reverted back to 5.1 for now.
You're right, it didn't work, but after DA did a manual update on one of my machines, it has worked on all of them since. It appears they have fixed something. Update DA and do a
./build update
./build all d
I use snapshots, so I didn't have the script do a backup of the data files. If you don't have this capability, maybe back them up manually.
This is what worked for me. I went from 5.0 to 5.5, and it made a big difference in server performance and capacity. As I recall though, the big change was 5.0 to 5.1, so you may not experience the huge change I did.

Thanks for that, but unfortunately that didn't work for me so im just going to stick to 5.1 and re-investigate the problem later on. I don't think its too important to upgrade it at this stage.

Thanks for that, but unfortunately that didn't work for me so im just going to stick to 5.1 and re-investigate the problem later on. I don't think its too important to upgrade it at this stage.
I agree. It's not worth losing any hair over to go from 5.1 to 5.5.

centos 6 - mysql 5.5

Hello i just installed a new clean Centos 6 64bit "minimal", installed a clean DA over it.
after the installation, mysql and exim didnt ran.
Anyway i wanted to use 5.5 version so i changed it in options.conf to 5.5 and did ./build mysql d --- after the build the mysql didnt run again...

I tried to launch it manually and it complained about libaio-devel.x86_64, which i installed via yum but yet now it just doesnt want to start and doesnt give me any error...

what else i can do? and what about exim?

I suspect it happened because i choosed "minimal" version during centos installation process, if i had choose "basic server" it would not happen...

Also for some reason after the install, basic ftp client missed and "yum install ftp" didnt find it, i had to install it manually from rpm...

Any help with mysql ? everything else is working beside mysql and exim

this is what i got when ran mysql from its user:
mysqld
111120 6:38:59 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
mysqld: Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist
111120 6:38:59 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 128.0M
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: highest supported file format is Barracuda.
111120 6:38:59 InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start
111120 6:39:00 InnoDB: 1.1.8 started; log sequence number 1595675
111120 6:39:00 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it.

I suggest you read the error and instructions to fix it. Have you tried that?

Back