SRS wanted in Directadmin

Mati

Verified User
Every server score or block emails checking
IP of the sending server and IP of SPF record of domain in email header (Return-path: ...). If these are not the same - email is scored or blocked.

That is why forwarded emails are senselessly scored or blocked
- it happens because in mail header of forwarded email (Return-path: ...) is domain with SRS record not corresponding to the IP of forwarding server.

To solve that problem SRS was invented. It rewrites headers of forwarded emails.

For example: if the forwarded email is originally sent from [email protected] SRS rewrites email header (Return-path)

Return-path: <[email protected]>

to:
Return-path: <SRS0=L2ejKTsw=UR=originalmail.com=originalmail@domainofforwardingserver.com>

Thanks to it target server do not score or block forwarded emails (because their headers are rewritten by SRS).

Every other control panel systems has SRS. I repeat: server with SRS is just better configured server. SRS causes no problems - only makes that forwarded emails from server with it are not senselessly scored or blocked by target server.

Does anyone know how to implement SRS in Directadmin?

Last edited:
Does cpanel have it? They use exim too... Just steal their code.

I don't know how to implement it in exim.conf. Does anybody know?

That was scsi's point. Find the code in cpanels' exim.conf file, and implement it in DirectAdmin. That, of course, will only work if it's implemented in exim.conf.

If someone will contact me to send me a canel exim.conf file I'll look into it.

Note that this will NOT fix the same issue with forwarding by mailing lists.

Jeff

I don't know how to implement it in exim.conf. Could anyone write here how to do it?

Last edited:
I don't know how to implement it in exim.conf. Could anyone write here how to do it?
Jef said how to check, find someone with a cPanel exim.conf file and then send it to him - that's how I read his post, am I wrong?

Peter Laws: I never used cPanel. I have written this post because of course I do not have any exim.conf with SRS implemented and I do not know anybody from whom I could get it. If I had that solution (exim.conf with SRS) I would not have asked for it here. I don't have exim.conf with SRS - that is why I ask somebody for sharing instruction how to do it: probably some of many DA users use SRS already. The instruction here would help many users: not only me.

Last edited:
And since I don't have a copy of the cPanel exim.conf file, that's why I'm asking someone to send me a copy (yes, Peter, you read correctly).

This is the next step for getting the Feature Request implemented.

Surely we have some users here who also have one or more cPanel-based systems.

Otherwise figure out a different way to get me the exim.conf file.

Jeff

I don't have it - actually if I had exim.conf with lines of SRS I would not need anybody's help and I would share it here with the other users.

Last edited:
Hopefully you're not the only person who cares. If you are, then it's never going to be installed as a default; if only one person needs or wants it, that's just not a good use of resources. Hopefully someone (not you, obviously) will post a copy of the file.

Jeff

I just wanted to say that telling me "Find the code in cpanels' exim.conf file, and implement it in DirectAdmin" when I am writing that I do not have this code does not make any step to answer my request.

Hopefully you're not the only person who cares. If you are, then it's never going to be installed as a default
Many users of DA system do not even know that forwarded mail from their DA system is senselessly scored by target server. If they would know it I think that naturally they would also want SRS.

Last edited:
We need a copy of the cPanel exim.conf file to see if tells us how to do it. Telling me you don't have it doesn't help me get it.

I don't have to be the only one contributing to exim.conf. If this thread continues with statements that it needs to be done without anyone suggesting any help on doing it, then it's going to stay where it is.s

Note that I don't even know if having the cPanel exim.conf file will help; it's simply that the first step toward resolving the problem is to see how someone else does forwards that use SRS.

I'm waiting. I'm patient.

I don't want to close the thread, because I think it important; I just can't continue myself at this point because no one appears to have the information.

Perhaps someone can find an exim.conf file elsewhere on the 'net which implements it properly, and point it out to us.

Jeff

Find the code in cpanels' exim.conf file, and implement it in DirectAdmin.

My comment was only about above written citation. Since You told me: find it in cpanel's exim.conf - I answered: I don't have it. I wanted also to point that writing - do it yourself ("Find the code in cpanels' exim.conf file, and implement it in DirectAdmin") when somebody is asking for help is not necessary.

Of course I wait also (from the time of my first post in this thread) for somebody here who will post fragment of exim.conf with SRS implemented (from other panel or self-made).

Last edited:
I write that others should find the code and bring it to our attention because I know I haven't the time (or the inclination to find the time), and I know that at least to some extent I'm dependent upon as the maintainer of the exim.conf file.

I've been discussing this offline with John at DirectAdmin as well, and he brings up some interesting points which I've tried to research further. Reading the cPanel forum doesn't expose any answers; only questions. If you or someone else knows that cPanel supports SRS, please show us where. Otherwise it's just a presumption. Probably, in fact, my presumption, based on scsi's question and suggestion.

Additionally exim still flags SRS support as experimental: http://wiki.exim.org/SRS

Whereas openspf.org gives some examples, they require features still considered experimental.

Yes, I'd like to see a working implementation on DirectAdmin; as soon as any reader of these forums has one, if s/he would be kind enough to share, I'll be happy to experiment with it.

Jeff

here is some example from cpanel
http://mg.iceni.pl/archives/category/uncategorized

can we implement this in DA exim.conf?
That's a good first step, but it's in patch format, and I'd need a copy of the original cPanel exim.conf file against which the patch works to be sure I'm doing it right.

As soon as I have everything I need (note, I'm not looking for it) I'll try to find time to study it.

Alternatively, note that I don't mind if you write it :); see mr.applesauce's post directly above.

Jeff

Exim example configuration

I would like to add the following page http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html for reference. I know it isn't an cPanel config, but I hope you will be able to work with it. I am neither an expert in SRS, Exim or cPanel. But having SRS available in DirectAdmin would be greatly appreciated.

I wrote the exim.conf file used by DirectAdmin, and I or anyone else can rewrite it, but I'm not sure what you're asking for.

The article to which you link looks much more like a discussion than a solution. Exactly what are you proposing?

Don't just say everything in the link; that gives me no usable information. I don't even see a definition of either SRS or RPR.

Jeff

I was under the impression that the link provided a guide to configuring SRS for Exim, starting from 1/3rd down the page @ "SRS configuration files". But perhaps this is not the case.

However, in the meantime I have also been looking for a cPanel exim.conf, and this is from my fresh installation:
http://pastebin.com/BEqjQeq8

So this could be combined with the link provided earlier: http://mg.iceni.pl/archives/category/uncategorized
Line-numbers are changed slightly because of a different source version, now @ 923 and 976

Could you take a look at this? I would really appreciate either the possibility of enabling SRS in DirectAdmin, either manually or from the interface. But I don't know what is needed.

Back