Any problems with a cloned image for mass installs?

emmanuel

Verified User
It takes quite a while to get DA installed on a new server. So I'm wondering if it would cause any problem if I imaged an existing fresh install and use it for installing similar virtual dedicated servers, boot up the new server, then update the license information with the correct one?

Or would DA upon booting up, connect and invalidate the license because there are two IP using it at the same time?

Or is there some kind of test license that could be used for installing DA for deployment?

As far as i know there is no problem, just update the license on the first startup and restart directadmin should be ok.

For dedicated server i used to create a script that install everything i need to a customized box.

Regards

Be care. we used to do that, and now our account is frozen, so we cannont change IPs. We think that a lot of installations with one license (the license tries to validate himself the firstime) banned us. DA staff refuse to answer if this is the matter (no answer at all)....

Make sure there's no UID or LID installed in your cloned image. Then start the server, set up the new UID and LID, and do a manual update.

Jeff

Be care. we used to do that, and now our account is frozen, so we cannont change IPs. We think that a lot of installations with one license (the license tries to validate himself the firstime) banned us. DA staff refuse to answer if this is the matter (no answer at all)....

Thanks for the warning, I was worried something like this might happen.

Make sure there's no UID or LID installed in your cloned image. Then start the server, set up the new UID and LID, and do a manual update.

Does this mean deleting the license.key file before cloning will be OK? Or does DA keep the uid/lid information somewhere else?

Should be fine. Hopefully DirectAdmin staff will respond to the thread.

Jeff

Hello,

Yes, it should be fine. Just make sure that you delete your license.key as well as the uid/lid values set in the setup.txt, before creating the image, as you don't want to give it away.

Install the image and use the change server IP guide to set the configs to their correct values, and grab the correct license.

John

Back