Server Unresponsive

Eagle1

Verified User
I just setup a Fedora RC2 server with DA. I moved all of my accounts from an old server running RH 9.0 to this server.
Everything works fine for awhile but then the load gets so high that I can't even ssh into it. I have to submit a support ticket to my provider to manually reboot the server. They rebooted it two hours ago and now it is unresponsive again.
I really need support to login and see why it keeps doing this.

This is what is in my httpd.conf:

Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 20
StartServers 8
MaxClients 450
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000

The above is how it was written by the DA install.
I changed according to the default values at apache.org as follows:

Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10
StartServers 5
MaxClients 256
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

Was this the right thing for me to do? I will keep a close eye out.

Eddie

Setting MaxRequestsPerChild to 0 is like saying MaxRequestsPerChild unllimited. A poorly written program could cause an excessive load on the server if your not careful. It is ok to set it high, but unlimited may be dangerous.

As for your unresponsiveness question, it could be caused by several things. Have you monitored the server for several hours with "top -c" to see what process is taking over? With some creative scripting, you can log the top command to an out file so the next time you have to reset the server, you can immediately log in and check the outfile for your cause.

Try disabling keepalive. When I enabled it on my system it did basically the same thing. Thank God for apc reboots.
I attribute it because all the websites on my servers are dynamic, barely any static pages.
Keepalive is set to on by default in new DA installations.

If your still having trouble here is the form to contact DA so they can take a look.
https://www.directadmin.com/clients/safesubmit.php

Last edited:
Back