Alias domains and email account

Michell

Verified User
wow...has served the calculator to enter the thread he he eh he

I hope you can help me.
Excuse my English, but I am very poor in the language and I helped with google traslator.

I have two domains:
dominio1.it
dominio2.it

My e-commerce has the dominio1.it, I inserted as an alias dominio2.it.
(Advanced Features->Domain Pointers)

Now ... how do I create an email account for dominio2.it?

thanks to all

Michell

Why not? A domain pointer alias is simply another way to look at the same domain. If created as an alias, it accepts email at the same addresses.

You can certainly create the alias as a separate domain and use .htaccess to redirect the website.

Jeff

The CMS (Magento) that I use for my e-commerce does not think that way.
To create a multi stores are obliged to use the domain pointer alias.
Each store is assigned to a different person and it is unthinkable that everyone read the email to everyone!

Michell

P.S.
If you need to open a site with a different name, maybe.....and say maybe.....there is also the need to communicate with a different e-mail.
I think this Cpanel understood it!

P.P.S.
sorry for double post

While I'm not sure, I believe that this will cause a redesign of how domains are created and maintained, so I don't know how easy it would be, or even if it's possible. I'd suggest you create a feature request in the proper subforum here. Be sure to explain all your reasoning.

Jeff

You might be able to fix this with a little tweak.

1. Create your pointer domain as a normal domain in DirectAdmin

2. Delete the public_html directory of this domain

3. Create a symlink from that public_html you just deleted, to the public_html of your website.

Example:

I've used your own domain examples to make it more clear. (dominio1.it has the website software, dominio2.it is the pointer)

So first add dominio2.it as a normal domain, then do commands like these
Code:
rm -r /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html
ln -s /home/admin/domains/dominio1.it/public_html/ /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

This way you got the same result as a pointer, while having the domain created in DirectAdmin as well.

Be careful with the commands I provided, if not used properly you might delete something you didn't want to delete.

Hi Arieh and thank you for your fix!

If I understand correctly:
Home-> Your Account-> Settings-Domains> Add Domains
In this way, I added dominio2.it.

But the commands as they launch?

Around the thread to my hosting provider.

I think we want to ssh that I have not enabled!

Michell

P.S.
I see the light! :D:D

IT WORKS

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A perfect alias pointing done manually

Thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks.

Thank you very much.

I love you Arieh

I wish you infinite good things

Cheers

Michell

I think if you have the symbolic link feature checked in DA it would work (so private_html points to public_html), else you just have to create one yourself with private_html instead of public_html.

You might be able to fix this with a little tweak.

1. Create your pointer domain as a normal domain in DirectAdmin

2. Delete the public_html directory of this domain

3. Create a symlink from that public_html you just deleted, to the public_html of your website.

Example:

I've used your own domain examples to make it more clear. (dominio1.it has the website software, dominio2.it is the pointer)

So first add dominio2.it as a normal domain, then do commands like these
Code:
rm -r /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html
ln -s /home/admin/domains/dominio1.it/public_html/ /home/admin/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

This way you got the same result as a pointer, while having the domain created in DirectAdmin as well.

Be careful with the commands I provided, if not used properly you might delete something you didn't want to delete.
My apologies for pulling this old thread out of its grave - but the above isn't working for me. Error: Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible.

What is the best way to allow symlinks just for this very purpose? Thanks!

You should change the symlink owner. From the example in your post, the symlink should be chown'ed to admin.

It was originally owned by root, then I changed ownership to the account owner. Neither worked, but with permissions being 777 it shouldn't really make a difference, or should it?

EDIT: Hm, for some odd reason, I can't change the symlink owner. It just stays root, no matter what I chown with it.

EDIT2: Ok, was able to change it with "chown -h" but unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

Last edited:
Hm and just for the reference, the owners are different of course - it is like this:

ln -s /home/jeff/domains/dominio1.it/public_html/ /home/john/domains/dominio2.it/public_html

But that is how DA has handled things as long as I can remember.

So... thanks a bunch, you pointed me in the right direction. :)

For the record, the owner needs to be the same for both domains (didn't even know it was possible to set things up that way). AND the symbolic link needs to be owned by that very owner.

Now my remaining problem is that css isn't working. Tried Ctl refresh and two different browsers, but no luck so far.

EDIT: Meh, just stumbled over my own hotlink protection - all good now. ;)

Last edited:
Back