Install DA on Cloudlinux.

Hello,

I've just added a basic "CloudLinux" check to the setup.sh, just so it can find the correct services.tar.gz file...
I'm not sure what else is missing beyond that.

Cloudlinux as on OS combined with directadmin works out of the box, we have been running DA and cloudlinux on our servers for about two years now... While it is great at handling system updates it really is nothing more than RHEL when run in this way....

The magic features as everyone keeps calling them do not work with directadmin as it currently stands, these features are what make cloudlinux such a great operating system because they allow customers to be loaded up on a server without having to worry about a single customer stealing all of the resources or breaking into another customers account, or rooting the box because of an isecure script.

The main focus is CageFS... I am not sure what Igor needs from DA to get it working well together but this feature "Virtualizes" individual hosting accounts for maximum security, think of it as a mini vps for each customer account.

The second one is a special limiter for mysql that can be configured per account... Igor came up with a way that you can set per hosting plan a limit to how much of the database resources any given user can consume... preventing a single site from slamming the rest of the customers.

I noticed people were asking about "SecureLinks", which when I googled it, is nothing more than disabling FollowSymLinks in apache, which we already do (we actually don't disable it, we use the rack911 patch which changes it internally to SymLinksIfOwnerMatch, so FollowSymLinks is actually disabled in apache, but clients can still use that syntax, it wil just be converted to SymLinksIfOwnerMatch)

It's documented here, and was implemented last December into Custombuild:
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42332&p=214681#post214681

In any case, it's the same thing as "SecureLinks", it's just done by us, not CL.

THe secureLinks yes you are right it is already implemented but it was just used as a reference to the many features in the Cloudlinux documentation that say control panels supported: CPanel, Plesk.... and the promises for the past couple years that those features would be ported to DIrectadmin and never were.

The other complaint was ligtspeed... which isn't really CloudLinux related.. it's DA related as CL is just the OS.
and I believe there are guides on how to use it with DA. (we simply only offer tech support on Apache)

It is Cloudlinux related as support for cloudlinux is built into Litespeed... but while it is built into litespeed the features only work if you are using standalone litespeed... not litespeed + DA using apache configuration method.

Anyway, with the updated setup.sh, it should be one step closer... feel free to let me know if anything else is missing.
Or if anyone has a CL box and a DA license, I'd be happy to test out the installer for them... and update it as I go, if anything is missing.

John

Please work with Igor to get Directadmin installers up to speed and on par with the Cpanel + Cloudlinux integration...

Last edited:
I forgot while writing my post, they need some sort of integration into apache as well... that allows them to control the individual account resources....

Dont think of cloud linux as just another OS.... it is not...

It is a new kind of OS designed for shared hosting, and as such it needs modifications into the core of apache, mysql, and others to perform optimization's that were never possible before with shared hosting environments.

NoBaloney, not me, but CageFS is the problem, this is why I let you know all this problem cause I'm in the same situation, not leaving CL cause of this either, but I'd like to see some progress on DA support on CL too.
Mysql resource control works with cpanel mysql rpms without to much fuss.

Regards
Mike, is that your post on the CL forum?

What exactly is it in CloudLinux that you like and that you'd like to see with a CloudLinux/DirectAdmin combination?

Jeff

Nice Martynas.

We started using CL also :) I do have one doubt. They require php to be run in safe_mode off. Is this is security problem for Directadmin or any kind of security problem I need to be aware of ?

lvetop is working great, and everything seems fast.

Back