spam arrest, heard of it?

jechilt

Verified User
anyone familiar with Spam Arrest? Link to Spam Arrest

This looks super cool. Had to use it today and think it is a great idea.

Any other options out there that are similar?

jechilt said:
anyone familiar with Spam Arrest? Link to Spam Arrest
Yep. I'm very familiar with them. Every major anti-spam discussion group has lots of discussions about how they send spam themselves. Look here to see one of them.

And find lots more by searching for spamarrest (one word) at Google Groups .
This looks super cool. Had to use it today and think it is a great idea.
Be prepared for it to break (among other things):

All responses from forms on your websites. This happens because webforms send you an email that purports to be from the visitor, to you. SpamArrest will send back a challenge to the sender, telling him/her that s/he sent you an email. Of course the site visitor doesn't remember sending you an email, and thinks you're spamming him/her.

If you're in business and want to receive email from people who you've never written to, it's a very bad idea; you don't want any third party in the way of communication, do you?

And they do have a history of continuously writing people who've tried to write you, and asking them to subscribe. Which is spam that will be blamed on you.

There are lots of good anti-spam solutions out there but I don't consider this one of them.
Any other options out there that are similar?
There are lots of other challenge/response mechanisms out there; there's even a patent dispute going on right now as to who invented it and should be allowed to get royalties for it.

Have you tried SpamBlocker? It's a totally free (as in beer, as in speech) solution for your DA system; it's been deemed good enough by Mark and John to include with new DirectAdmin installations. It does require a bit of work on your part to install; about 15 minutes. I wrote it <blush>.

It's available here.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have seen you plastered all over the board and you have done some mighty fine work. My programming skills are at the "Programming and Problem Solving with C++" the "pre-req" for C++ 101.
I have read about the spamblocker and am planning on installing it. I am really glad you replied to the thread because I totally overlooked a few points you brought up.
For the average home user who gets email, the SpamArrest seems pretty good, but as you mentioned, not well suited for business.

Keep up the great work and thanks for the reply!

ciao <--extent of my italian vocabulary

I forgot one more thing; it totally blocks your ability to get mail from mailing lists.

Hasta la vista baby!

(the total extent of Gov. Schwarzenegger's knowledge of spanish :)).

Jeff

Jeff

I use SpamBlocker and is great.
I always keep checking your link
for updates.

Thanks
bob

If you're using SpamBlocker on your server you shouldn't get any extra spams blocked by SpamPal, since they use the same technology.

You might get a few, since they don't always use the same lists.

Jeff

Back