shortcut public_html ?

mbuljo

Verified User
How can i make like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 domain domain 34 Jun 9 11:43 public_html -> ./domain/public_html

to this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 domain domain 34 Jun 9 11:43 public_html2 -> /disk2/domain/public_html

Thanks for any help.

How can i make like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 domain domain 34 Jun 9 11:43 public_html -> ./domain/public_html

to this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 domain domain 34 Jun 9 11:43 public_html2 -> /disk2/domain/public_html

Thanks for any help.
First I'd ask why you need to delete the public_html link at all. It's not harming anything and it could be helpful to someone at some point.

That said, it's easy:
Code:
# cd /home/USERNAME
where USERNAME is the usernsame in which you're trying to delete the link. Then:
Code:
# rm public_html

To create the new link:
Code:
#cd /home/USERNAME/
# ln -s /disk2/domain/public_html public_html2
Jeff

Actually (if i dont remember bad) at user leve under domain adminsitrator if you select the domain and click on "Set as default" the system will create the symlink automatically.

Regards

It does but I really don't know if it will do it if the domain is on a different drive. Hopefully someone will try it and let us know.

Jeff

Not fake, i suppose jeff have his own account that is jlasman and some other of his staff use NoBaloney and NoBaloney2 (or jeff aswell when not on his computer).

I think i had read this explanation some time ago on this forum.

Regards

OK, I see. But some forums (and online browser-based strategy games) forbid to have clones or multi-accounts.

It doesn't really bother me, so do not take it seriously.

First of all, I made sure both Mark and John at DirectAdmin gave me permission to do this before I did it.

Here's what I did and why:

When I first started on these forums somewhere around eight or so years ago I hadn't thought much about brand identity. So I didn't use my company name as my username. Now I do, on all other forums. And I wanted to create a link in my siglines. Google, as some of us know, penalizes what it calls link spamming, and instantly having almost 23,000 links to my home page from DirectAdmin forums, according to my SEO person, won't help me, and probably will harm me. I had already created a NoBaloney login so I could log in and answer posts without losing my list of unread posts (since I endeavor to read all posts and sometimes I don't have the time but need to log in to help someone). I worked out with my SEO guy that I should start using the new account into the future, and leave the old account of course because there are probably over 20,000 helpful posts in it.

At the same time I wanted both accounts to be known as my company name. I could have left the new one as nobaloney and the old one as nobaloney2, but I thought that might be a bit confusing, since then nobaloney2 posts would be older than nobaloney posts, so I changed them around.

If anyone wants or needs to discuss this further, these forums are probably not the place to do it; it's after all it's quite off-topic. Please email me for further discussion.

Thanks.

Jeff

Back