Tracking Spam scans and Stats for SpamAssassin?

mvtimes

Verified User
I've recently been battling spam issues on our server. One account in particular was getting hammered with incoming spam. SpamAssassin's memory use is one of our concerns.

What I've done is enable RBLs in Exim. I now see many rejection notices in the Exim log based on the various RBLs, which is good.

However, when I run Eximstats, the email volume seem to be the same as they were prior to the enabling of the RBLs. I am assuming because the email is still logged in some way prior to the rejection. Is that what's happening, or am I missing something else?

Does anyone know if these emails are rejected prior to being processed by SpamAssassin? Or does anyone know how I'd be able to find out? Is there a standard way to generate SpamAssassin stats, similar to Eximstats, so that I could compare the numbers?

Thank you for your time and any advice.

However, when I run Eximstats, the email volume seem to be the same as they were prior to the enabling of the RBLs. I am assuming because the email is still logged in some way prior to the rejection. Is that what's happening, or am I missing something else?

Yes, that's right, they still get logged.

Does anyone know if these emails are rejected prior to being processed by SpamAssassin? Or does anyone know how I'd be able to find out? Is there a standard way to generate SpamAssassin stats, similar to Eximstats, so that I could compare the numbers?

RBL blocks spam before SpamAssassin by default.

Thank you, that's good to know, and what we want.

Is there a way to find out how many emails have been blocked per user? Eximstats shows rejections by IP and "reasons", but I am looking for a way to check the one very bad account to see how much their email deliveries have lessened with these controls in place.

No, you should do it manually or write a script.

1. List all domains of your user
2. grep or exigrep from exim mainlog

No, you should do it manually or write a script.

1. List all domains of your user
2. grep or exigrep from exim mainlog
Much quicker and more efficient to grep the rejectlog; it includes only one line per rejected email.

Jeff

Back