4 alias domains in domain pointer, but I don't want email aliases.

Marcosi

Verified User
Hi,
I use DirectAdmin on my server with Ubuntu OS for my 4 e-shops. All shops are configured via the domain pointer aliases. But I would like the email for each domain not to be aliases.

Can I, and how would I make the settings for the email MX records?

(New to DirectAdmin and sever setups)

Thanks!

Hello,

1. Remove aliases
2. Add the removed domains as regular domains (neither as pointer, nor alias)
3. Go to homedir of the user via SSH and remove public_html directories of newly created domains
4. Create public_html as a symlink to public_html of the main domain

I don't need to remove DNS aliases. They rae working fine. I just want to create direct email accounts for domains, not to have alias email accounts.

Then you have to add them as a domain in domain administration.

I don't need to remove DNS aliases. They rae working fine. I just want to create direct email accounts for domains, not to have alias email accounts.

You won't be able to get independent email accounts on domains if they are aliases. YOu won't be able to add domains if they are already added as pointers/aliases. So I've given the solution... just try it.

Problem

Hello,

1. Remove aliases
3. Go to homedir of the user via SSH and remove public_html directories of newly created domains

The above solution doesn't work for me as I use mod_ruid2, which doesn't allow symlinks. (Only symlinksifownermatch, which will fail as owners will NOT match, lol).

So, like the original poster, I need a solution where I use domain pointers, AND can handle emails for the pinted domains without being an alias of the main domain that is pointed to.

Anyone have (step by step) instructions on how to accomplish this?

The above solution doesn't work for me as I use mod_ruid2, which doesn't allow symlinks.

mod_ruid2 has nothing to do with symlinks, it's patched apache which cares of it.

Anyone have (step by step) instructions on how to accomplish this?

What is wrong with chown`ing the symlink to correct user? Within one hosting account (homedir), the solution will work. YOu might face issues if you try to symlink directories between different users (homedirs).

mod_ruid2 has nothing to do with symlinks, it's patched apache which cares of it.

Thanks for the fast reply.
DirectAdmin has a 'hardensymlinks' patch which doesn't allow the use of followsymlinks with mod-ruid2 implementation. Only, as I said, followsymlinksifownermatch, which doesn't work as owners don't match as they are different users (the main domain is a user, and the extra user you suggest to make is another user).

What is wrong with chown`ing the symlink to correct user? Within one hosting account (homedir), the solution will work. YOu might face issues if you try to symlink directories between different users (homedirs).
Doesn't the solution you propose suggest just that; symlink directories between different users?
So that's why I say your solution doesn't work.

Let me know if I miss something. i hope I do, as I tried but don't get your solution to work.

If to read the 1st post of the thread, one can see this:

All shops are configured via the domain pointer aliases. But I would like the email for each domain not to be aliases.

Directadmin does not allow to create aliases for domains between different users. So if the TS says about aliased domains, then we should assume that all domains are hosted within one hosting account, but not different users.

Hello,

I followed this:
Hello,

1. Remove aliases

But it not working.

I removed all files from the new domain folder and added shortcut to the main domain public_html.

Im getting this:
1711242795269.png

Ha. Funny. That is not an error log. You seem to not be an admin. You should contact your hosting company.
I’m admin. But I can’t get it to work not matter how I try to redirect folders :(

I’m admin. But I can’t get it to work not matter how I try to redirect folders :(

You don't even know what an error log is. Even the regular users how to get to the error logs for a domain. You are not an admin.

Maybe it's a very new admin with personal license or somebody who has an internal license together with server or vps.

@Toris check your /var/log/httpd/error_log and /var/log/httpd/domains/domain.com.error.log files.
If you're an admin you should be able to reach those via SSH.

Maybe it's a very new admin with personal license or somebody who has an internal license together with server or vps.

@Toris check your /var/log/httpd/error_log and /var/log/httpd/domains/domain.com.error.log files.
If you're an admin you should be able to reach those via SSH.
Hi, @Richard G

I'm getting this:

1712419208608.png

I tried to create shortcut to the public_html - it did not worked. Tried to create create shortcuts to every file in the main domain public_html. Still not working.

I get it working only on simple index.html file when I created shortcut on second domain to the main domain index.html file.

Now Im trying to do the same for WP website. But it not working :(

Hi, @Richard G

I'm getting this:

View attachment 7863

I tried to create shortcut to the public_html - it did not worked. Tried to create create shortcuts to every file in the main domain public_html. Still not working.

I get it working only on simple index.html file when I created shortcut on second domain to the main domain index.html file.

Now Im trying to do the same for WP website. But it not working :(

Now you have you answer. Either the symbolic link is not allowed or does not exist.

Can you

Code:
ls -l /home/faride/domains/xxx.eu/public_html/index.php

What happens when you ls the symbolic link?

Back