Hosting website on directadmin server machine

Tsuyosa

Hello everyone,

I recently hired a vps machine and I let the hosting company install directadmin on the machine to make hosting websites easy for me.

Now I want to connect my domain to this server. For this I need nameservers.
After some searching it seems I have to start by adding ip's in ip management, that I can then connect to my reseller account.

Here lies my problem/question: what ip do I have to use? I read the help section about it, but it does not make this clear: http://admin.site-helper.com/ipman.html

Does it have to be an existing ip, or can i just make something up?
Should i use the exact same ip as my server...is this even possible?

Also, as a side question: I see there are two ips for each reseller: how should I implement this?

I hope someone can help me, I want this setup correctly so i can use DirectAdmin as a user, without having to worry about these things:)

Many thanks in advance!

Hi zEitEr,

Thank you for your quick reply.
I read your threads and they were helpfull. However, I still have one question that is bothering me: they al say "add two ips" as if this is the most normal thing to do. To be honest I have no idea which ips I can/should use...can you help me with this?

Thanks again!

You should use your own IPs, which you get with a server. If you've only one and your hosting company can not sell/give you more IPs, then you might need to use 3rd party service for hosting DNS zones, it might your hosing company from which you bought server, or it might your registrar, from which you bought domain.

Note, even if you've got two IPs, and using them can fulfill your goal with delegated domain, it still will be a single point of failure. You'd better not host your DNS zones on one server.

Ok! I found out i can request another ip. The one i already have is set as "server" in my directadmin, can i still use it as one of the nameserver ips?

Thanks for your answer.

For my own understanding: are these nameservers suppost to be registered on some universal magic internet place, or is it a local thing?

If its the last: how can my domain name registar know where to redirect if i just fill in some same.
Remember: My reseller and admin account are on the same machine, with one ip.

For details about how to register your own dns names with particular registrar, from which you bought or are going to buy domain, you should refer to documentation on the site of the registrar.

For general understanding the question, please use this link https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+i+register+my+own+dns+site:directadmin.com as it will list all similar threads on these forums, as reading of them will save much time.

I'm sorry but this is not helping at all, I still do not have an answer on the question i asked..

you need to put the nameserver record in your domain registrar panel eg ns1.somedomain.com and ns2.somedomain.com
and if you are using private nameserver then you ned to put childnameserver first then the nameserver
the universal magic internet place is your domain panel by which you register the domain name

Nameservers should be registered at registrar of your domain. Of course it might vary depending on with which registrar you registered domains. So I'm not going even to try give here any detailed step-by-step guide. There is no " universal magic internet place" available for end-users (unless you're a registrar)... You should ask your registrar for that. Sorry, but I don't get what is not clear here?

Google search once more time https://www.google.com/search?q=register nameserver site:directadmin.com

I'm sorry for the confusion, ill explain in a bit more detail. I think we are talking about different things.

There are two companies I can login too:
Company 1: this is where I registered my domain name "www.example.com"
When i log in here and click on the name, I can register 2 nameservers ns1.blah.com and ns2.blah.com. If i save this, everything is done for me, I don't have to worry about this.

Company 2: this is where my vps is located. I asked them to install directadmin for me and they did. Now I can login as admin there. Let's say the ip of this server is "12.34.56.78"

Now, I want to host a website on the vps at company 2, and be able to go there using the domain "www.example.com".

The question is: how to do this? (I do prefer step by step).
The thing that confuses me is: what nameserver do I add to directadmin in the ipmanagement panel? If I just type "some name" there, how does company 1 know that that name belongs to "12.34.56.78"?

Hopefully this is a bit more clear, I want to appologize for the confusing and thank you in advance for your patience and possible explanations!

just go to modify user account and set the ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com in NS1 and NS2
then go to your domain registrar panel and set the childnameserver ns1.yourdomain.com and ip (which you assign for yourdomain.com) and same with ns2.yourdomain.com and ip
then time to put the nameserver ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com

NOTE-this will set the private nameserver for yourdomain.com

also spend some time to read the output of what alex give you for search in google
i think that is more then enough for anyone for setting up the ns

The solution to my problem: the DNS settings at the domain registar had to point to my vps ip:)
Nothing to do with nameservers whatsover, thats the next step for now:)

Thank for your help anyway guys.

Back