VPS setup's - open source visualization software - DA licenses

jonn

Verified User
Was wondering how many da licenses I may need when I work out how to setup a vps server properly?

I'm know I need to install visualization software to do this, open source would be my first choice being my first time, than the later, more enterprise software.

Can someone recommend open source visualization software that they found that is simple to setup in your experience that would work nicely with DA.
I have read up about a few, although I want to make sure I am making the right decisions as they seem to do mostly the same thing, however each has some features that the other doesn't, and comparing them can become a nightmare.

I don't want to spend all my time fixing something. With DA it's error free, in years I havent had anything go wrong, so DA is my first pick for the user control panel, just vps setup is now the choice nightmare.
Linux only Im looking for.
1. VMware
2. OpenVZ
3. VirtualBox

The server I intend to use is a Intel® Xeon® E3-1245 with 32gig and 3 x 3Tb drives.

Which one would you choose, why you would? wouldn't us it?

How many da licenses would I need, 1, 2, 3 ?

I am assuming 2 da licenses is what I need.
-1 for the first container for the web hosting service portal, and;
-1 for the second container for users hosting websites.
Manage the second da panel from within the first da panel using say whmcs.
Users login to the second container's DA setup to manage websites.
I login to the first DA panel to manage it all.

Would that be the correct thinking.

OR would this be a better way....

Should it be setup this way.

[1] Server with DA on it " The control web server as a VPS" The web hosting selling site, support etc..on one container, other containers for test areas or personal sites.
[1] Server "for customers website only" visualization (vps) setup with da on one container for user websites, and have seperate containers ready to sell vps's or install another da on another container with other options like flash upgrade etc, or windows OS setup in that container, etc..

Anything helpful, ideas or tips, what worked for you when you started? what didn't? what you may have done different? anything constructive would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
:)

NoBaloney Internet Services will likely start offering VPS servers by the beginning of January; we're working out the final details now.

We've decided we like Xen as our Virtualization software (I believe you meant virtualization when you wrote visualization), mainly because of an interesting plugin we found for WHMCS which will control the free version of Xen available from Citrix. If you decide to go this route you'll need to install the Xen ISO on your physical server, and you'll also need a local (not in the datacenter) Windows-based computer to manage and configure Xen. Another option for Xen would be the Xen kernel on a standard CentOS installation; if you go with this method you should probably buy The Book of Xen (amazon.com) also available as a Kindle eBook (amazon) which can also be read on Kindle software on almost any tablet computer or smartphone. I like the approach and I like the software, but I didn't see any good support to tie this more generic Xen into a provisioning system, so I decided to move forward using Citrix Xen.

There are also commercial versions of Citric Xen which can be licensed with various levels of support, but they appear a little too expensive for our first foray into VPS offerings.

I'll admit though, that we're still in pre-configuration stage so my opinion could change later, and I welcome input from others in this thread.

As far as DirectAdmin licenses are concerned, you'll need one license for each virtual instance of DirectAdmin (for each container running DirectAdmin), and none for the physical server.

If you're simply virtualizing your own system for ease of management the standard DirectAdmin license will likely work for you, but if you're going to sell VPS instances then you should contact DirectAdmin Sales for special licenses and pricing.

Jeff

Was wondering how many da licenses I may need when I work out how to setup a vps server properly?

I'm know I need to install visualization software to do this, open source would be my first choice being my first time, than the later, more enterprise software.

Can someone recommend open source visualization software that they found that is simple to setup in your experience that would work nicely with DA.
I have read up about a few, although I want to make sure I am making the right decisions as they seem to do mostly the same thing, however each has some features that the other doesn't, and comparing them can become a nightmare.

I don't want to spend all my time fixing something. With DA it's error free, in years I havent had anything go wrong, so DA is my first pick for the user control panel, just vps setup is now the choice nightmare.
Linux only Im looking for.
1. VMware
2. OpenVZ
3. VirtualBox

The server I intend to use is a Intel® Xeon® E3-1245 with 32gig and 3 x 3Tb drives.

Which one would you choose, why you would? wouldn't us it?

How many da licenses would I need, 1, 2, 3 ?

I am assuming 2 da licenses is what I need.
-1 for the first container for the web hosting service portal, and;
-1 for the second container for users hosting websites.
Manage the second da panel from within the first da panel using say whmcs.
Users login to the second container's DA setup to manage websites.
I login to the first DA panel to manage it all.

Would that be the correct thinking.

OR would this be a better way....

Should it be setup this way.

[1] Server with DA on it " The control web server as a VPS" The web hosting selling site, support etc..on one container, other containers for test areas or personal sites.
[1] Server "for customers website only" visualization (vps) setup with da on one container for user websites, and have seperate containers ready to sell vps's or install another da on another container with other options like flash upgrade etc, or windows OS setup in that container, etc..

Anything helpful, ideas or tips, what worked for you when you started? what didn't? what you may have done different? anything constructive would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
:)
Hello jonn which is the latest edition of vps software. Can we use this software in tablet?

Back