DA keeping error on backup my server

glio

Verified User
I everything thank you for your help.
I want to asking about when I was updated to v 1.42.1 and set the corn to backup my account on my server and it will keeping error, so I can't backup anymore. please help

Code:
Error Compressing the backup file reseller.admin.account.tar.gz : /bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100617_d336849af76e0c298577ynTmyT33BzHu.jpg: Read error at byte 8192, reading 1998 bytes: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100604_05aaf8af4d3cd6e0d6bdXI04xE41xYk6.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100608_ae5c3d44d56e36549290N00BcYLdLvBK.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100611_f1001a84374d8d7d8594Wn5gJNW8nKPn.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100610_9d4a16cbbf4ab7dc7372ljNyFj4dJ6T6.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100624_639c9c57e8d45c0d47456jCQI0X8Xqf8.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100630_3fe589fce5e69f235581v9r9fvZhf9Jh.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100624_356baa0fa5f8224723083MA353Ul5x6j.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
/bin/tar: domains/server.com/public_html/bbs/attachments/month_1006/20100619_48ea14c22ab498ff16c7Vz3Ma3zzgC2u.jpg: Cannot stat: Input/output error
gzip: stdout: Input/output error
/bin/tar: Child returned status 1
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Error renaming /home/admin/admin_backups/account/reseller.admin.account.tar.gz to /home/admin/admin_backups/reseller.admin.account.tar.gz : Unable to move /home/admin/admin_backups/account/reseller.admin.account.tar.gz to /home/admin/admin_backups/reseller.admin.account.tar.gz:

this account was set the space is 25gb, but it only use 3gb

this info show in my admin account:
Code:
Filesystem 	Size 	Used 	Avail 	Use% 	Mounted on
/dev/sda1	996M	52M	893M	6%	/boot
/dev/sda2	9.5G	6.0G	3.1G	67%	/
/dev/sda4	451G	77G	375G	17%	/home
tmpfs	3.9G	0	3.9G	0%	/dev/shm

I have many space can use

than my server's every account will show 404 file not found, but the files on server is still here
how ever when I reboot my server the server is back to normal untill my backup corn is run again

and I was using the command:
chmod 711 /home/admin/account

but it still error.

how can I fix it? thanks

Last edited:
You only have 3.1GB available in / and if your backup is configured to use /tmp rather than /home/tmp, or if your /home/tmp is a link to /tmp, it's possible (likely?) you're running out of space during the creation of the backup files.

Jeff

You only have 3.1GB available in / and if your backup is configured to use /tmp rather than /home/tmp, or if your /home/tmp is a link to /tmp, it's possible (likely?) you're running out of space during the creation of the backup files.

Jeff
thank you
that mean /dev/sda2 is not enough for backup?
how can i change it to bigger?

or is possible I can change my backup to /dev/sda4?

Last edited:
Yes,

On a live system you'd better not do that. You'd better use simlinks or virtual (loop) devices.
thank you, but I am newbie at CentOS, could you tell me have any other easy way to backup my account?

The builtin system of backup should do the things which would satisfy the most users: i.e. admin level backup and reseller level backups. Both of them use either /home/tmp or /home/<admin_or_reseller>/<backup_dir>/tmp as temporary directory. In your particular case the backup directory seems to be /home/admin/admin_backups/, so the temporary directory should be /home/admin/admin_backups/tmp/

Thus your issue should not be related to the size of your / (root partition). And the error Input/output error might be related to HDD failure.

Anyway please post here results of:

Code:
mount

and

Code:
ls -ld /tmp
ls -ld /home/tmp
ls -ld /home/admin/

Thank you

HTML:
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /home type xfs (rw)

Code:
drwxrwxrwt 5 root root 147456 Jan 20 18:57 /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 3 root root 23 Jan 20 17:50 /home/tmp
drwx--x--x 10 admin admin 4096 Jul  6  2012 /home/admin/

What are your settings (if any) in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf?

tmpdir
backup_tmpdir

If there's no setting for backup_tmpdir in the directadmin.conf file you can add this at the bottom:
Code:
backup_tmpdir=/home/tmp
and then restart DirectAdmin, to be sure that backups use sda4, which will resolve the issue if the size of the /tmp directory is the problem.

Jeff

@glio

By the way:

/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)

I'd suggest disable disk quotas from / (root) partition

/dev/sda4 on /home type xfs (rw)

I'm not sure whether directadmin supports disk quotas on XFS, but at least you could try it. A quick search did not give me much information about this, but this thread http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=17915&page=1 says there might be issues with quotas on XFS (note the thread is rather old).

So, check the settings like Jeff suggested. If they are correct as they are expected to be, then your issue might be related to XFS (just a guess, without any proves). And in this case you might want to try backups without gzip:
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=1220

or this (prevent tar from breaking during the backup process):
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=791

P.S. What if you create a user-level backup? Does it succeed?

may I ask :

"backup_tmpdir=/home/tmp"

is this line to set backup direct to my sda4?

Last edited:
I was disable gzip and change backup_tmpdir=/home/tmp
however the problem is still here.
:( xfs are not disable yet

everytime when that problem again, all of services(http, emai...) will crash also.
do you have any idea?

i find my directadmin config:
tmpdir=../../../home/tmp

May I change it?
tmpdir=/home/tmp

Last edited:
@glio
P.S. What if you create a user-level backup? Does it succeed?

I don't know why it will only error on the user used many size (in directadmin it show this user used 12gb space)

thank you for every one's help.

I just tested change all to my server's default settings and all of users can backup normailly(only add backup_tmpdir=/home/tmp to directadmin's conf, and the gzip is enable)
however the problem I find it is only on backup a reseller and that was used 12gb space

do you have any idea?

and I find my server's company set

tmpdir=../../../home/tmp
quota_partition=/

in directadmin.conf
does it have any problem?

Last edited:
I've got this:

Code:
# /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin c | grep tmpdir
tmpdir=/home/tmp
backup_tmpdir=/home/tmp

do you have any idea?

You might need to run dataskq in debug mode.

Thank you again zEitEr !!:D

my server's cpu are not very fast, I'm afraid to run dataskq in debug mode there will be more problems.

my server was running about 5 years, in years 5 years i have no change any setting, but I don't know why recently the backup's function have problem( and I just confirmed when I backup other users have not that problem, only on the reseller that used 12gb space)

is that mean /dev/sda2 is not enough for backup? and I need to find any solution to fix it?

Last edited:
and I need to find any solution to fix it?

In this case you'd better hire somebody to check you server.

is that mean /dev/sda2 is not enough for backup?

From the data you posted here, I don't see any relations between them.

In this case you'd better hire somebody to check you server.

From the data you posted here, I don't see any relations between them.
Thank you, I think I need to change the server provider.
my old server provider's supporting is sxxks

tmpdir=../../../home/tmp
quota_partition=/

in directadmin.conf
does it have any problem?
The tmpdir=../../../home/tmp setting works for backups because it resolves the same as /home/tmp, but you can reset it to tmpdir=/home/tmp to make it easier to read, and if you add (as Zeiter shows) a setting for backup_tmpdir you can override the location where backups will write their files, if you don't want it in the same place as the tmpdir directory used for anything else.

The purpose of the quota_partiton setting is to tell DirectAdmin which of your directories has quotas turned on by the OS.

Jeff

Back