Error building php-5.3.28

Still having major issues on this. I can't build php with Freetype.

I removed in configure/ap2/configure.php5 the line:
--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib

..and it builds. I tried to change the dir to /usr/local/include/freetype2 which is where ft2build.h is located. Still not building. Same error as above.

Any help is appreciated. I've tried all options besides forcing an old and vulnerable version of Freetype.

EDIT: Finally after a few hours of toying around I got it. I removed freetype from pkg with a deinstall from ports. I then updated my ports tree (portsnap). I was then able to build php with Freetype 2.5.3 and php 5.4.26. Oh I also installed the libXpm libs from ports too. Unsure if that helped but it did help get rid of the error during a build even though it still failed.

Last edited:
Still have never received a decent fix to this, trying to do 5.3.29 and yet again:

Code:
If configure fails try --with-xpm-dir=<DIR>
checking for FT_New_Face in -lfreetype... no
configure: error: Problem with freetype.(a|so). Please check config.log for more information.

*** There was an error while trying to configure php. Check the custom/ap2/configure.php5 file

Just going to stay at Freetype 2.5.0, since that doesn't seem to break updating PHP and I don't have time for the server to be down again to troubleshoot.

Here's an update, almost everything I try to update in DA fails...

Just tried to update to PHP 5.3.29 with Freetype 2.6.5:

If configure fails try --with-xpm-dir=<DIR>
checking for FT_New_Face in -lfreetype... no
configure: error: Problem with freetype.(a|so). Please check config.log for more information.

*** There was an error while trying to configure php. Check the custom/ap2/configure.php5 file

I have the full build log from start to finish if anyone wants it.

Still have to force Freetype to 2.5.0 for PHP to update. (I know it's 5.3.x, but I have a couple of customers who rely on it)

I'd love to update Apache, Exim, dovecot, etc... but they all fail for some reason or another.

Still on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE 64bit.

Edit: I used to love doing this a couple of years back:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build all d

Last edited:
If no one replies, is the topic considered dead? Why not lock it?

Yes, I can confirm this is still a huge problem for me as I can't upgrade to php55-fpm.

Yes, I can confirm this is still a huge problem for me as I can't upgrade to php55-fpm.

Still this damn issue. All these years and continued complaints and STILL NOT FIXED!

WTF, this is ridiculous. All my DA boxes I have to run old versions of PHP because of this.

FIX IT.

WTF! YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.

Get this FIXED otherwise I'm done with DA permanently. This is unacceptable.

Please create a ticket. As php 5.3/5.5 are both very much end-of-life, we'll likely need to login to see if anything can be done.
If it's just a library location issue, there might be an easy fix by moving things around, or even removing them, but would likely need to login to address it.

----

Beside the point and unrelated, php 7.0 is only getting security fixes and will be fully end-of-life in January 2019:
http://php.net/supported-versions.php

You may want to consider upgrading, as trying to work with ancient software only becomes more problematic as time goes on.
We do understand clients have "old" php scripts, perhaps they don't work with newer php versions, but by using old php versions, you're putting your entire server at risk due to the fact that it's no longer receiving for security fixes.
Anyway, that's ultimately up to you (force clients to upgrade, or continue using end-of-life software).

In any case, I think the compile issue in your case is unrelated to that.. it might just be the library locations needing some tweaks.
Create a ticket and we'll take a look to see if we can help.

Just an FYI: if the OS version itself is end-of-life, there are more cases where newer software simply cannot compile (CentOS 5 is very much running into that now, for example).

John

Back