After a long time - upgrade!

liorm

Verified User
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade version 1.33.6 ti the latest.
This host is running on a virtual server, and I would like to firstly upgrade a replication of the server in a lab environment, and make sure it goes smooth.

How would I be able to do so?

Thanks!

I am looking to upgrade version 1.33.6 ti the latest.
This host is running on a virtual server, and I would like to firstly upgrade a replication of the server in a lab environment, and make sure it goes smooth.

How would I be able to do so?
I suggest you really don't need to do so. We've very rarely seen problems with DirectAdmin updates. I'd suggest that if the update has been out over a week and no one is complaining, you won't have a problem.

If uyou do, it's likely that all hosting services will continue to run, and that someone here will help you get back on track.

Just make sure your license is aid up and working before you start.

And it's not as easy as you think because to update you'll need a license for the server you're testing on as well.

Jeff

I suggest you really don't need to do so. We've very rarely seen problems with DirectAdmin updates. I'd suggest that if the update has been out over a week and no one is complaining, you won't have a problem.

If uyou do, it's likely that all hosting services will continue to run, and that someone here will help you get back on track.

Just make sure your license is aid up and working before you start.

And it's not as easy as you think because to update you'll need a license for the server you're testing on as well.

Jeff

OK!!
So there shouldn't be a problem with updating older versions with the latest?
What would you suggest regarding rollback?

Thanks!

I've never had to do a rollback; if there are problems, staff tends to correct them promptly, and I don't really remember any problems.

If you feel you need to test, then you do, but I don't know of any. I've asked DirectAdmin staff to comment on any possible problems when skipping many versions to latest (because I never go more than two or three), so you can await their reply if you'd like.

Jeff

Hello,

Going forwards shouldn't matter regardless of the DA version (assuming you're still using a supported OS).
All of the history changes are still found for all versions in the:
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/update.sh
which you don't need to call, it's run automatically by DA during the update.

As for a rollback.. we've never really done that..
If you're concerned, you can create a copy of the current update.tar.gz to something else, and if you want to go backwards, then just extract and run "./directadmin p".

However... it's not really designed to go backwards.. so changes that are made during the update may not work with the older versions of DA.
If you do have issues, we prefer to just fix them and keep moving forward.
Going backwards again would prevent all of the important fixes that come with the newer versions of DA.

John

Hey,
Thanks for your replays, Jeff& John.

I will run the updates to 1 of our 4 servers, hopefully it all goes smooth.
Worse case scenario, if something goes wrong, can I recover a replica of the server (made just before the update)? Could it result in a license issue?

Thanks again! :D

Hey,
can I recover a replica of the server (made just before the update)? Could it result in a license issue?
Well it sounds like following this previous instruction would restore it to the previous state if you had to:
If you're concerned, you can create a copy of the current update.tar.gz to something else, and if you want to go backwards, then just extract and run "./directadmin p".

But as others have said, i've updated directadmin tons of times and have never had a problem.. so I wouldn't worry really. And it wouldn't cause any license issues- the license is tied to the ip address & server os version. As long as your not changing the OS version (from centos 6 to 7 for example), there would be no difference so the license would continue to function I believe. If you are changing the OS version - you would need to contact directadmin support to update the license for your new OS (Centos 7 64bit for example).

Back