what is newly added nginx_apache in option.conf ?

rnc

Verified User
hello
today when i started to install a fresh directadmin i get following errors

Code:
TTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 485 [text/plain]
Saving to: `/etc/logrotate.d/php-fpm'

100%[======================================>] 485         --.-K/s   in 0s

2014-02-27 16:35:08 (157 MB/s) - `/etc/logrotate.d/php-fpm' saved [485/485]

File already exists:    htscanner-1.0.1.tgz
MD5 Checksum on htscanner-1.0.1.tgz passed.
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/htscanner-1.0.1.tgz
Extracting /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/htscanner-1.0.1.tgz...
Installing mod_htscanner2-1.0.1...
cannot find /usr/sbin/apxs, trying a different path
./build: line 5243: /usr/bin/apxs: No such file or directory

*** There was an error while trying to install mod_htscanner2-1.0.1.

Cannot find /usr/local/bin/php
Please recompile php with custombuild, eg:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build all d

This appears to be a 64-bit system.
a common cause of http/php compile failures is mentioned here:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=213

If you're running CentOS (not freebsd or debian) and applies to you, then type:

ln -sf /usr/lib64/libexpat.so /usr/lib/libexpat.so
ln -sf /usr/lib64/libm.so /usr/lib/libm.so
ln -sf /usr/lib64/libssl.so /usr/lib/libssl.so
./build all d
cd 
the OS is : Centos 6.5 x86_64 and i chosen nginx as webserver in time of instalation

i tried muliple time the multiple command like
./build clean
./build update
./build alld
./build htscanner.....
and no success

i tried to change webserver to apache and when i tried
cd /usr/local/scripts
./install sh

Evey things work fine and i get my finish line directadmin installation information
after that i changed webserver to nginx and
./build all d
and everything finihes well too
---------------------------------
i told this because i think this could be a bug for some reason

and my main question is what is nginx_apache in option.conf as a option that we have for webserver ?

is this nginx as apache proxy !?
is this fully tested and functional !?

rnc said:
and my main question is what is nginx_apache in option.conf as a option that we have for webserver ?

is this nginx as apache proxy !?
is this fully tested and functional !?

The answer to the question about the proxy is yes :) But it's not yet ready for production. It works on our testboxes with latest pre-release of DA, but it needs more testing.

hello
today when i started to install a fresh directadmin i get following errors

Code:
TTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 485 [text/plain]
Saving to: `/etc/logrotate.d/php-fpm'

100%[======================================>] 485         --.-K/s   in 0s

2014-02-27 16:35:08 (157 MB/s) - `/etc/logrotate.d/php-fpm' saved [485/485]

File already exists:    htscanner-1.0.1.tgz
MD5 Checksum on htscanner-1.0.1.tgz passed.
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/htscanner-1.0.1.tgz
Extracting /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/htscanner-1.0.1.tgz...
Installing mod_htscanner2-1.0.1...
cannot find /usr/sbin/apxs, trying a different path
./build: line 5243: /usr/bin/apxs: No such file or directory

*** There was an error while trying to install mod_htscanner2-1.0.1.

Cannot find /usr/local/bin/php
Please recompile php with custombuild, eg:
./build all d

This appears to be a 64-bit system.
a common cause of http/php compile failures is mentioned here:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=213

If you're running CentOS (not freebsd or debian) and applies to you, then type:

ln -sf /usr/lib64/libexpat.so /usr/lib/libexpat.so
ln -sf /usr/lib64/libm.so /usr/lib/libm.so
ln -sf /usr/lib64/libssl.so /usr/lib/libssl.so
./build all d
cd 
the OS is : Centos 6.5 x86_64 and i chosen nginx as webserver in time of instalation

i tried muliple time the multiple command like
./build clean
./build update
./build alld
./build htscanner.....
and no success

i tried to change webserver to apache and when i tried
cd /usr/local/scripts
./install sh

Evey things work fine and i get my finish line directadmin installation information
after that i changed webserver to nginx and
./build all d
and everything finihes well too
---------------------------------
i told this because i think this could be a bug for some reason

Yes, I think it's bug and I will check it soon. Thank you for the report! :)

thanks a lot
i used nginx_apache on 2 operational server
i facing some problem and trying to figure them out
i like to see this option goes public with stable condition
do you have any time plan ?

Hello
i have this on my dev server. It is working ok with fastcgi apache nad nginx. Php fpm is a problems with webmail.domain aliases. But as i see it there are two problems. Domain/webmail problems and i have statistics problem. But martynas is working hard on that. There is no other issue. I think it will be ready for production very soon. Testing will tell what configuration in optimal. Phpftp fastcgi or something else. But this is on the end of the day best combination. On g-server.com we have one production nginx and apache and for now it is working ok on client private vps. In time we will migrate our servers to this mode because hosting and vps seevers are selling very good.

what is nginx_apache in option.conf
is this being set to allow the user to choose nginx OR apache or am I misunderstanding?
or is this just the normal apache or nginx option in options.conf?

No, both nginx and apache. Nginx is serving static files apache dynamic files. Nginx is much faster in static files than apache. So both servers on same time.

Why not use Varnish to cache static files from RAM?
I guess since CB already has all the code to install NGINX that it's quicker to set up, but Varnish can benefit both Apache and NGINX.

Varnish would be a completely new product in CB. By the way, nginx also allows caching to shared memory.

Varnish would be a completely new product in CB. By the way, nginx also allows caching to shared memory.
Yep and a new set of skills would be required to properly configure those VLCs. I'm just mentioning it because even though NGINX is able to do static caching in memory, people still tend to put Varnish in front of it.

I think is hard to put all the ideas in to one place in short time. What i like in DirectAdmin is that you must tweak it manualy and you can make server very stable and easy to manage. So with tweak and changes you can have very fast and reliable servers. I think we must give Martynas & Co some time to make CB2 stable and ready with current specifications. I think with php-fpm and nginx we have fast server with no need for extra tweak. I have a lot of web pages on one server with old CGI versions.

I think option that must be expanded (priority) is cluster servers. SO you can automaticaly migrate users and have one Access for managing all the servers. But this is for another forum :)

I've used nginx in front of apache before with good luck, glad to see this becoming option.
how does a person get onto the CB version that does this? been so long I forget.
anyone running https sites like this and are there any issues?

Well i wrote already to Martynas. I think there is a problem with SSL. It is working but i have an error when you check chain certificate and web page is reporting that there are some unsecure links. I think there is still some work to do but it Will be resolved.

You can try PHP-FPM. It is also working fast and i think this Will be main option in future.

Hello
after Direct admin Removed nginx_apache from configuration options
it seems directadmin put this option back with a few more additional Options ( cloudlinux support in installation and litespeed support in installation )
and also
there is a new recent post by zEitEr in
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=49438 that describe the step to switch nginx as reverse proxy for apache

now my questions are
1-is this nginx as reverse proxy for apache stable enough for production environment ?
2-which php mode we could/should select to build with this option ( php-fpm , fastcgi or SuPHP )?
3-why they added litespeed as a webserver because this is a commercial webserver and it have a installer beside of directadmin options and its php and other matters are different ? is this the open source limited version of litespeed ?
4-i saw Martynas mentioned varnish as a custom build option ! this could be great is there any plan and ETA for this option ?

Howdy @rnc,

I can only comment on question 3: DA supports LSWS Enterprise, not OpenLiteSpeed. (OpenLiteSpeed does not read Apache config files. That would be a lot more work to support.) Having LSWS actually integrated into DA allows DA to better and more reliably handle LSWS. Before, with just the LSWS plugin, LSWS had to pretend Apache was still running in order to trick DA. That wasn't not ideal. (There was actually a PHP build bug caused by this. This bug was what finally brought everything together.)

We'll be retooling the LSWS Plugin so that it doesn't have functions that are covered by CustomBuild.

Cheers,

Michael (from LiteSpeed)

Howdy @rnc,

I can only comment on question 3: DA supports LSWS Enterprise, not OpenLiteSpeed. (OpenLiteSpeed does not read Apache config files. That would be a lot more work to support.) Having LSWS actually integrated into DA allows DA to better and more reliably handle LSWS. Before, with just the LSWS plugin, LSWS had to pretend Apache was still running in order to trick DA. That wasn't not ideal. (There was actually a PHP build bug caused by this. This bug was what finally brought everything together.)

We'll be retooling the LSWS Plugin so that it doesn't have functions that are covered by CustomBuild.

Cheers,

Michael (from LiteSpeed)
thanks for reply
i know that bug and in this forum and litespeed forum i reported it and waited for more tan 3 week without any help from directadmin or litespeed
that cost me a 2 core license price for 1 month and then i switched back to Apache and i think i will never use litespeed on directadmin again !

any body have any suggestion about my 1st and 2nd question ?

1-is this nginx as reverse proxy for apache stable enough for production environment ?

Yes, I'd rather say yes.

from official site (http://nginx.org/en/):

nginx [engine x] is an HTTP and reverse proxy server, as well as a mail proxy server, written by Igor Sysoev. For a long time, it has been running on many heavily loaded Russian sites including Yandex, Mail.Ru, VKontakte, and Rambler. According to Netcraft nginx served or proxied 19.67% busiest sites in July 2014. Here are some of the success stories: Netflix, Wordpress.com,FastMail.FM.

2-which php mode we could/should select to build with this option ( php-fpm , fastcgi or SuPHP )?

You should treat Apache as if you work directly with Apache without NGINX, that would mean you are free to use any PHP mode you want, use .htaccess where it is needed. NGINX when using it as a reverse proxy does not bring any limits to apache.

that cost me a 2 core license price for 1 month and then i switched back to Apache and i think i will never use litespeed on directadmin again !

I'm very sorry we made you wait so long, and I can understand if that makes you not want to use LSWS with DirectAdmin. One of the advantages of this CustomBuild integration is that we now have much better communication between LiteSpeed and DirectAdmin (not just the software but also the development teams). Even if you decide not to use LSWS with DA, I want to thank you for bringing us together and pushing us to provide better products.

Sincerely,

Michael

Yes, I'd rather say yes.

from official site (http://nginx.org/en/):

nginx [engine x] is an HTTP and reverse proxy server, as well as a mail proxy server, written by Igor Sysoev. For a long time, it has been running on many heavily loaded Russian sites including Yandex, Mail.Ru, VKontakte, and Rambler. According to Netcraft nginx served or proxied 19.67% busiest sites in July 2014. Here are some of the success stories: Netflix, Wordpress.com,FastMail.FM.

You should treat Apache as if you work directly with Apache without NGINX, that would mean you are free to use any PHP mode you want, use .htaccess where it is needed. NGINX when using it as a reverse proxy does not bring any limits to apache.

Hello
and thanks for reply
yes i know that nginx stand alone or reverse is much more than stable and do the job with outstanding features and performances
what i did asked for is that directadmin's nginx as revese proxy of apache build stable for production
because it has some bugs in previous releses

i tested on a heavy load server for 2 website and in these 5 days every thing seems to works fine

is this stable from directadmin point of view ?

There are some issues with nginx+apache, and custombuild's current Version: 2.0.0 RC7

Back