Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

bernhard

Verified User
I have the following problem:

The hostname for my server is srv1.myserver.com (fictitious name). I host 10 domains on there. The IP address block owner configured an PTR record for srv1.myserver.com. The domain users send their mail through mail.theirdomein.com (to the server with hostname srv1.myserver.com). When I perform an smtp check with http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=smtp:mail.theirdomain.nl&run=toolpage I get the error: Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Well, the SMTP Banner resolves to srv1.myserver.com. How do I resolve this problem?

I hope my problem is outlined clearly. If you still have questions I will be happy to answer them for you.

Do you have set both MX and an A record for mail.theirdomein.com?
Like:
MX 10 mail.theirdomein.com
192.168.10.20 A mail.theirdomein.com

Or in DA:
Code:
theirdomein.com.	MX	10 mail
mail	A	192.168.10.20
Watch the extra dot behind the domain name.

Next to that I hope you got the ip correct for the reverse dns for srv1.myserver.com, reverse DNS must exist for the IP address that outgoing e-mail is sent from.

Last edited:
Do you have set both MX and an A record for mail.theirdomein.com?
Like:
MX 10 mail.theirdomein.com
192.168.10.20 A mail.theirdomein.com

Or in DA:
Code:
theirdomein.com.	MX	10 mail
mail	A	192.168.10.20
Watch the extra dot behind the domain name.

Next to that I hope you got the ip correct for the reverse dns for srv1.myserver.com, reverse DNS must exist for the IP address that outgoing e-mail is sent from.

hi,
i added MX record just like that but problem is standing there...
what should i do ?

You're replying to a 5 year old post, please don't do that.
Best is to create your own new topic in this case, stating your problem and domain name so we can investigate what's wrong.

Back