Email Hosted Off Server, Server Behaves As Though Its Still Hosted On The Box

open4biz

Verified User
When I recently moved to a new host I decided to move all email addresses for a domain to a cloud hosted email service. The MX records are pointed off server. When I migrated the admin backup package I opted to not move an email accounts or settings.

The problem is that when emails are sent from a php script with the mail() function to the domain, they stay on the server and do not head to the hosted email service.

Any thoughts on how I might tell my box that the email is hosted externally?

Other pertinent notes: The nameservers and DNS is done through my domain registrar. There is a mail server on the new box tied to the hostname. It is running exim and dovecot. I do have a couple DNS entries that may not be helping: mail., pop., and smtp. pointed at the new box. As I think about it that may not be a good idea?

Last edited:
I had not, thank you. Are the instructions accurate? I can't the location described:

Go to User Panel -> domain.com -> Email -> MX Records

Do I log in as the user? There's only one domain attached to the account. I do not see an 'Email' section.

I dug into four different areas and still coming up with a goose egg.

Thanks,

Ansel

DirectAdmin let me know two tips:

1. The user has to be using the 'enhanced' skin.
2. More importantly, they need 'DNS Control' enabled for the user profile (I did not, which is why I couldn't see it).

Back