Mailpile beta should be released today

I do not understand you in this point. Why could you not install it on your hosting server and use it as mail client? It is designed as a mail client when I read the site. Privacy is kept by the hosting provider. Python could be installed.

If it's your server and you want to have an easy access to your emails, then yes, but if you have a hosting business, then it's not a good idea because you're a 3rd party for the end user. In their own words
Mailpile is not designed to be "Software as a Service", as given current technology, we believe SaaS to be incompatible with goals 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1 and 3.2, in addition to going against the high level goal of fostering user independence.
https://github.com/pagekite/Mailpile/wiki/Security-roadmap

Python can easily be installed on many platforms, but CB and DA rely on PHP, Bash and perl. Adding Python would mean making sure it installs and updates properly on all platforms, including all the dependencies.

If it's your server and you want to have an easy access to your emails, then yes, but if you have a hosting business, then it's not a good idea because you're a 3rd party for the end user. In their own words

https://github.com/pagekite/Mailpile/wiki/Security-roadmap

Python can easily be installed on many platforms, but CB and DA rely on PHP, Bash and perl. Adding Python would mean making sure it installs and updates properly on all platforms, including all the dependencies.

Thanks for the information!

It's not designed for the hosting business as using it on a 3rd party server defeats its main purpose: privacy. Also, DA and CB don't support Python.
I hope you'll explain in more detail, as I don't understand your point, and I like what I see in Mailpile.

I'm looking at using it in an Enterprise solution, and I don't really see the issues.

Jeff

Mailpile replaces Thunderbird, not Horde. If you want the features found in Mailpile (encryption) you're better off configuring Roundcube if your customers prefer that interface to the one found in Horde.

Your customers will install Mailpile in their OS in order to safely store messages, away from your prying eyes and they'll eventually bypass mail servers at some point.

I've finally taken time to read their goals (link above), and now have a better understnding of what they want to do.

I agree I won't be using their project; while the first stage (webmail) might be usable for me now, their eventual goal is not.

But I don't believe it's easily attainabgle in any reasonable timeframe; too many of their goals just don't reasonably work together on today's Internet.

And I must ask if they really think enough people will want to take full responsibility for managing their own peer-to-peer email, with all the effort and issue that entails (including finding systems in a dynamic-IP world without each machine constantly advertising it's location either publicly or through a service everyone would have to trust.

I fear a world in which we think we have security, safety, privacy, and perhaps even freedom, but actually do not. Aldous Huxley (wikipedia.org).

So all I can do is wish them luck. :)

Jeff

Back