bjorn

Verified User
Hi,

custombuild: 2.0.0-RC7
Squirrelmail: 1.4.23
PHP safe mode = Off

I'm trying to login to squirrelmail but i keep getting the following error:

Error opening /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/default_pref
Could not create initial preference file!
/var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/ should be writable by user admin
Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

I already tried the following:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build squirrelmail

touch /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/default_pref
chown root:root /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/default_pref
chmod 755 /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/
chmod 600 /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/default_pref

Inspecting the file with vi I see the following:
------------
full_name=
reply_to=
show_html_default=0
------------

Any ideas?

Regards,
Bjorn

Why are you changing permissions of /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/default_pref ? Please post the output of:
Code:
./build options

Why are you changing permissions of /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/default_pref ?

On my Google search i found it somewhere, tried it after all the other commands didn't help.

Options output:

Apache: 2.4.10
mod_ruid2: 0.9.8
Dovecot: 2.2.13
AWstats: no
Exim: no
exim.conf update: no
SpamAssassin: no
ClamAV: no
MySQL: no
MySQL backup: yes
MySQL backup directory: /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups
PHP (default): 5.5 as mod_php
phpMyAdmin: 4.2.8.1-all-languages
ProFTPD: no
Pure-FTPd: 1.0.36
RoundCube webmail: 1.0.2
Replace "php.ini" with './build all' and './build php_ini': no
Auto updates/notifications: no
Run "clean" every time: yes
Run "clean_old_webapps" every time: yes
Run "clean_old_tarballs" every time: yes
Show texts in bold: yes
SquirrelMail: 1.4.22-20140402_0200
Zend Guard Loader: no
ionCube loader: no
Suhosin: no

Do you have any custom templates in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom or /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/custom ? If not, please give the following a try:
Code:
./build update
./build rewrite_confs
./build squirrelmail

No , I don't have custom files there. I did create my own roundcube skin.

In short:
I coppied the larry skin, changed what i wanted, uploaded the new skin to /var/www/html/roundcube/skins/.
Then i changed the /var/www/html/roundcube/config/defaults.inc.php to load the new skin.
// skin name: folder from skins/
$config['skin'] = 'myCustomSkin';

I hope i did this the wright way :rolleyes:.

I did what you asked:
Code:
./build update
./build rewrite_confs
./build squirrelmail
Login is working now!! Thanks alot ;)

I have 2 more questions:
- When i'm logged into Roundcube i get an error message: "An error occured, can't move message" when i try to delete an email with the delete key. Drag and drop to trash does work.
- With .htaccess i'm trying to redirect webmail.mydomain.com --> mydomain.com/roundcube, without the url changing.. I know this can also be done with the vhost file. What is your opinion?

Or should i ask these question in seperate posts?

Again thanks for your quick response and help!

I have 2 more questions:
- When i'm logged into Roundcube i get an error message: "An error occured, can't move message" when i try to delete an email with the delete key. Drag and drop to trash does work.
- With .htaccess i'm trying to redirect webmail.mydomain.com --> mydomain.com/roundcube, without the url changing.. I know this can also be done with the vhost file. What is your opinion?

1) Is it .Trash on .INBOX.Trash directory?
2) Would you like to do that for 1 domain only? Yes, you can create a separate virtual host like it's mentioned in http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=92, if you'd like it to be applied globally (for all domains).

1) Not really sure what you mean, the inbox itself doesn't have its own Trash folder. So i guess it's .Trash
You can check it out for yourself.
http://www.enjoyitentertainment.com/roundcube/
Email: [email protected]
Pass: Test1234
(sorry i changed the language to Dutch)

2) Thanks!! Haven't seen that HowTo, yes i would like it for all domains.

So sorry but i noticed something, so I have another question..:rolleyes:

3) Changing the Roundcube skin in file /var/www/html/roundcube/config/defaults.inc.php doesn't respond.
I have to change the skin in file /var/www/html/roundcube/config/config.inc.php, which is read only. Only when i change the skin name there, it works.

4) And 1 small question :p. I want to enable IMAP, should i follow these instructions?
http://www.directadmin.com/imap.txt

So happy with your help! I promise not to ask any follow up questions now :)

1) I'd need config.inc.php contents (or access to the server), to know the answer :) Feel free to PM them to me (or send using Skype), the help would be completely free of charge, so please don't worry about that.
2) Great!
3) If you'd like to change any default setting, you must put it to config.inc.php. Exactly like you described, and that's a documented RoundCube feature :)
4) IMAP should be available by default on every DA system. The URL you posted is for PHP-IMAP extension, do you need IMAP support for PHP files (your customers)?

WOW!!! Again WOW!! I got some great skype support from smtalk!

He checked my server and helped me with all my questions. Everything is working like a charm now :D:D
smtalk, thanks again for your help!

DA forums should really add answer rating off some sort, so i can give smtalk 5 stars ;)

For other readers, here are the solutions to my questions.

1) ./build roundcube fixed the problem.

2) allready answered.

3)
smtalk: "when you customize your config, you should place it in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/roundcube/config.inc.php"
smtalk: "any skins should be in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/roundcube/skins"

4) IMAP is default enabled, just make sure you have an A record imap in your DNS.

Back