[Request] Remote Email Server

Do you want to see Remote Email server in future DirectAdmin versions?

• Yes

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Give This the posability to create a MX fail-over record for the accounts who are existing ?

The addition of this feature is basically only clustering of the /etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd file, using the API.. so when a Client creates an account on box1, DA calls the API on box2 as "admin|user", so you must have already created "user" on box2 with the same domain.
It's a very small piece of the puzzle, the rest is still up to you (matching creation of Users, domains, and syncing of email data, as well as any MX settings you want to do).
Again, the feature added is not a complete solution to the feature of "full remote email control/clustering".

@Trickster: It's not really related to MX fail-over, as the accounts would exist on box2, so they're going to stay on box2 if they arrive there.
I would assume the main uses would be
- if you need a 100% stand-alone mail server with DA on it, and want to keep them in sync
- if you have a 2nd backup/standby server that you want to keep as in sync as possible.

but as it's a tool that does 1 specific task, I'm sure others will find other ways of using it to their advantage.

John

Thanks! and yes it's very basic/simple.. it just mimics account creation/deletion/change/suspend/unsuspend.
Correct, rsync will be your best friend for data syncing.

John

It would be simpler to use an sql database, that way you dont need to worry about flatfile corruption, and it would be much more resource nicer.

I thought I left flatfiles/bd/cbd when I left qmail/vpopmail 9 years ago! :)

Can we please have an option that just adds into mariadb/mysql db?

That way we have the choice to do it in standalone, replication mode (your beta way), or a much more efficient cluster way (I have my heritage in ISP world with over hundreds thousand users and have gone through all the trials over past decades to find the best (fastest/efficient) methods) - this way we can run the software and versions we want with the storage backends we want, if we choose to do so.

Thanks!

Currently I'm looking into the same thing as moving certain services on DirectAdmin towards a different server.
With the post and pre.sh scripts, this is rather easy and we already did our own implementation of the creation of users etc via rabbitmq.
The most difficult part is actually the storage. For this we were thinking about using GlusterFS or CEPH but they both have their own implementation of quota. So we would need to translate this quota information into the normal quota information that DirectAdmin uses so it becomes visible in the control panel.
Is there any possibility to have GlusterFS or preferably CEPH quota support inside the control panel? Or a way so we can script this and Directadmin reads a normal plain text file?

Halo,
I'm ready to test this feature.
I have 2 vps online with DA now then how to start?

Thank you.

Back