I always receive 2 same emails

akymakr

Verified User
Hi,

I googled "I want to make my sub-domain as an email domain" + "DirectAdmin" + "Namecheap" and I found the solution is to use namecheap's FreeDNS for my sub-domain so I can config my main domain and sub-domain separately then I can receive emails that are sent to [email protected].

First, I filled in the POP information for both main domain and subdomain at Outlook in order to receive emails. Then I set email forwarding in DirectAdmin to instruct the system to forward the emails to [email protected]. So Outlook can categorize them to specified folder finally I can view the message in Outlook and also reply as [email protected].

But there is a problem, I have to face with 2 same emails send to my mailbox. Because the performance of email composing in DirectAdmin (or SquirrelMail), so I decided to receive and compose them in Outlook. But I received 2 same emails (time, subject, message except source code).

Then I asked for help from namecheap to see if they know if there is any setting in namecheap duplicated or incorrect. But I get a negative result. They said my settings are correct in namecheap, the problem should be the mail server. After that I login the SquirrelMail to see if this mailbox also received 2 same emails, and you know what? NO, I've got only 1 email!

So I know what should I do now, could anybody please help me, thank you very much!

------ DNS Settings of Subdomain ------
ftp A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
sub.domain.com. A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
pop A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
smtp A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
www A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
sub.domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com.
sub.domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com.
sub.domain.com. MX 10 mail
sub.domain.com. MX 10 mail.sub.domain.com
sub.domain.com. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4 ~all"
localhost AAAA ::1

------ DNS Settings for Domain ------
ftp A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
domain.com. A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
pop A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
smtp A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
www A ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4
domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com.
domain.com. MX 10 mail
domain.com. MX 10 mail.domain.com
domain.com. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4 ~all"
localhost AAAA ::1

------ Source Code 1 ------
x-store-info:sbevkl2QZR7OXo7WID5ZcV65/pkDWk7TC8wO6OqZUZTgFglWGr3IidQyWZ2TzzzxowM7BUmAjuV0rqyRwZbeLkXMFZpsGl1RUHTj8YGUobwYqPoiV6b+TmllJFwaLqEO8Rgz276wv2s=
Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; spf=pass (sender IP is ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4) [email protected]; dkim=none header.d=sub.domain.com; x-hmca=pass [email protected]
X-SID-PRA: [email protected]
X-AUTH-Result: PASS
X-SID-Result: PASS
X-Message-Status: n:n
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTA7YT0xO0Q9MTtHRD0xO1NDTD0w
X-Message-Info: NhFq/7gR1vTdWxRTMx4KX6GBGiPtJd1977y6ZLpteCZNGBVLdr/HmHDF7f87IynJ6MBlkCD01s+R0NBqY+kQaQh48Hy0COLRBS/uT8601F43U9QXIFyvRXr2uOy8p4Pw0Aj2BElqc1ZIoFiMShdd72bpkfNWyJnNqBnYUJJm8b9DfKQzDUelTUdC1kjOEXFSEvEKitGUtXSqvmqvZTjU3N9iUkU3toMQ
Received: from mail.domain.com ([ip1.ip2.ip3.ip4]) by COL004-MC5F7.hotmail.com over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.22751);
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 21:22:59 -0800
Received: from user by mail.domain.com with local (Exim 4.76)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1YQquW-00059x-W0
for [email protected]; Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:22:57 +0800
To: "Akira Akiyama " <[email protected]>
Subject: =?UTF-8?b?W2V0bldlYiBIb3N0aW5nXSDmiJHlgJHlt7LntpPmlLbliLDplqPkuIvnmoTmn6XoqaI=?=
X-PHP-Originating-Script: 536:mailer.php
Reply-To: "Akira Akiyama" <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:22:56 +0800
Return-Path: [email protected]
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 26 Feb 2015 05:22:59.0648 (UTC) FILETIME=[49071C00:01D05184]

------ Source Code 2 ------
X-Message-Info-Pas: D40Rtw1NtPiT9MNjQ0GSiSd3cxVd4ID1C9MITq4fxUoVTOCiNe47bj0vFB8d7V9jyvsm0oK4wiTCpKA5H7Kh0pPhWmYkazWe
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Envelope-to: [email protected]
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:22:57 +0800
Received: from user by mail.domain.com with local (Exim 4.76)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1YQquW-00059x-W0
for [email protected]; Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:22:57 +0800
To: "Akira Akiyama " <[email protected]>
Subject: =?UTF-8?b?W2V0bldlYiBIb3N0aW5nXSDmiJHlgJHlt7LntpPmlLbliLDplqPkuIvnmoTmn6XoqaI=?=
X-PHP-Originating-Script: 536:mailer.php
Reply-To: "Akira Akiyama" <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:22:56 +0800

Last edited:
You've complicated your question too much; perhaps that's why no-one has answered you yet :).

Are you a systems administrator of a server running DirectAdmin, or are you a client of a hosting company? If the latter, then you should be getting this sort of support from your hosting company, because they're familiar with your system configuration. If you've got your own server, then you should really not be hiding your domain name as without it all we can do is guess.

But either way, if DNS for your domain name is hosted on the server hosting your main domain (we can't tell because you haven't given us your domain name) then if you create your subdomain as if it were a main domain, DNS for it will also automatically be handled on the same server. So adding namecheap is simply complicating the question.

You've set up a forward for the email address forwarding it from the subdomain to the main domain. But do you also have an email address set up for it as the subdomain?

In DirectAdmin forwarders and email boxes are separate. If you have both, you'll get two emails; one at the mailbox and the other at the forward address.

So my guess is that you're using Outlook to read both accounts, and you're both reading the original email and the forwarded copy. Hence two copies.

None of your attachments were required to reach this conclusion :).

If I'm wrong, then post your real domain name, and let us know if you've configured Outlook to get email from both accounts (I believe you have from your post above, but verify) .

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for noticing my question. I will answer your question one by one.

Are you a systems administrator of a server running DirectAdmin, or are you a client of a hosting company?
Yes, I am the owner of the server and I am also a user of this server.

The set up method of DNS
Just mentioned before, I use eNom to host my domain (Domain Name: etnforum.com) and FreeDNS service of NameCheap for my subdomain (Subdomain Name: host.etnforum.com)

You've set up a forward for the email address forwarding it from the subdomain to the main domain. But do you also have an email address set up for it as the subdomain?
Yes, I have setup multiple email accounts in DirectAdmin (e.g.: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]). It has both domains and subdomains.

Possible further question: How can you set up forwarder like this?
Yes you can actually set up like I did. (See attachments)

In DirectAdmin forwarders and email boxes are separate. If you have both, you'll get two emails; one at the mailbox and the other at the forward address.
I received one in SquirrelMail and two in Outlook.com. I know if I setup a forwarder, it will also re-sent the email to Outlook.com. And I have checked if I stupidly setup a email forwarder also in NameCheap but I didn't.

So my guess is that you're using Outlook to read both accounts, and you're both reading the original email and the forwarded copy. Hence two copies.
I have created some "Send and receive" accounts in Outlook.com and it surprisingly created successfully. (I didn't put any POP3 / IMAP / SMTP details on Outlook's so I didn't think Outlook can actually work to catch email from my DirectAdmin. If it does, then you've guessed it.) So I am going to shutdown email forwarders to see if it will receive less emails.

Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• 擷取.PNG
    擷取.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 79
Possible further question: How can you set up forwarder like this?
Yes you can actually set up like I did. (See attachments)
I'm looking at your attachment, but don't know where that's set up. It doesn't look like a forwarder tome.
I have created some "Send and receive" accounts in Outlook.com and it surprisingly created successfully. (I didn't put any POP3 / IMAP / SMTP details on Outlook's so I didn't think Outlook can actually work to catch email from my DirectAdmin. If it does, then you've guessed it.) So I am going to shutdown email forwarders to see if it will receive less emails.
Have you resolved the issue?

Jeff

Back