Debian 8.0 64-bit - BETA testing

DirectAdmin Support

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We've added a new Debian 8.0 64-bit build box, and implementation went quite well, only took a few hours for everything.
So we're now ready for ALPHA testing of Debian 8.0 64-bit, please post any issues to The Debian 8.0 Forum, and avoid support E-Mail so we don't get duplicate reports.

Please note that ALPHA testing means it has little to no testing under it's belt yet.
As such, we cannot yet recommend this version for production use.

We don't have a 32-bit implementation.
I'm waiting to see how much demand there is before doing it, as if there is little to none, we may not need it.

John

Do you have an estimated timeframe before you would recommend using Debian 8 in production? Are we talking weeks or months?

I'm eager to make the switch to Debian 8 for a number of reasons (systemd, updated kernel), but especially for the update to OpenSSL 1.0.1x that enables better TLS modes which is really starting to matter from a security perspective. I know things can be backported to Debian 7 but there are a lot of pitfalls and it isn't a supported configuration.

**EDIT**
I realized that I was targeting Debian 6 (Squeeze) specifically when referring to the highly out-of-date OpenSSL version. Debian 7 isn't so out-of-date in that regard. However, I've got several Debian 6 machines that I would like to reinstall with Debian 8 rather than upgrade to a version that's already old.

Last edited:
We had a few bumps with the initial alpha release in terms of the PrivateTmp path and the mysql.sock file, but that should be sorted.
Since then, there have been no reports, but looking at the licensing system, there are not very may licenses set to use it.
After the basic install and operations are working, we'll change it to BETA... which may be in a week or so.
But this does not imply it's production ready, just that it's working for the normal operations.

Since CentOS 7 is already using systemd, most of those issues should be gone, so I hope those changes work out of the box for Debian 8.

John

I have a DA installed with a Debian 7 - 64bit support.
I just upgraded my ubuntu to 14.04, which is Debian 8.

What's the best way to upgrade to Debian 8 - ALPHA?
Re-install or is a some kind of a upgrade/update command?

Error changing password.
Error connecting to MySQL: Access denied for user 'da_admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Repair guide: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=45
Unable to connect to the database.

This is displayed when trying to change password, no matter if admin or user level.But still the password is changed successfully. I followed the repari guide but i cant solve this problem. System is fresh installed no upgrade or something.

Dear staff,
will there be a fix of the empty mysql password bug and mariadb problem in the next days/weeks. as far as i know alot of people want to change to debian8. greetings.

blank root/da_admin password issue fixed.
Was caused by the mysql.sh script using /usr/bin/systemctl (CentOS), intead of /bin/systemctl for Debian.
The install packs have been updated so future installs should be ok.

John

Hi,

Any news when DA for Debian 8 will be release? Weeks? Months?

I am installing new server so i want to know if to wait or not.

Good day.

Dear John,

it works decent now. the same issue you mentioned, is causing csf+lfd not to work. i know it has nothign to do with da but i want to post the error, when trying to enable csf:
open3: exec of /usr/bin/systemctl is-active firewalld failed at /usr/sbin/csf line 625.
greetings.

With the mysql fix, there are now no more known issues (report any if you find them).
I've updated the status to BETA.

John

The latest update messed up something. I think it is the same error with the empty mysql password:

Error changing password
Click here to return to the main page

Details
Error connecting to MySQL: Access denied for user 'da_admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Repair guide: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=45
Unable to connect to the database

Hmm... I'm not yet sure if the update is actually related, but to test, check:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/conf
cat mysql.conf
to get the username and passwd.
Note, you should see the password on it's own line. If the password ends and the shell prompt continue to it's right, then the mysql.conf needs a blank line at the bottom (password line need to end with \n)

Then with the user/pass, test manually:
Code:
mysql -uda_admin -p[B]password[/B]
If that fails, then the password is probably wrong and would need to be reset in mysql (login as root or without the grant privileges)

John

It is september now, is debian 8.0 still in beta?

I have installed it by mistake with a debian 7 license and it almost worked well ( considering the debian 7 license installed directadmin for debian 7 not for debian 8).

We've had no reports of issues for quite a while.
I've changed the status from BETA to stable.

John

Fastest server is files12.directadmin.com at 401408 B/s
Changed downloadserver option from files12.directadmin.com to files12.directadmin.com
beginning pre-checks, please wait...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ca-certificates is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 174 not upgraded.
--2015-10-05 12:09:31-- http://files12.directadmin.com/services/debian_8.0/files.sh
Resolving files12.directadmin.com (files12.directadmin.com)... 180.92.182.216
Connecting to files12.directadmin.com (files12.directadmin.com)|180.92.182.216|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2015-10-05 12:09:31 ERROR 404: Not Found.

*** Unable to download files.sh
tried: http://files12.directadmin.com/services/debian_8.0/files.sh

the address suppose

how to fix this??

Back