Unknown domain pointing to my server's IP

ajax20

Verified User
Hello

I have recently added an IP address to my VPS. The problem is that the previous owner has not changed its nameservers and it is set on this IP. Although any access to this domain is denied by my firewall (CSF), my problem is that the log file on my server gets heavily filled due to every hit the domain receives by visitors such as search engine crawlers like google and Bing.

Now I have three questions:

1) Are there any ways I can stop these loggings. I know the best solution is for the domain owner to change its namesevers, but he has not changed them even though I have contacted him.

2) Do you think this can lead to any resource waste on my server?

3) Does this lower my own domain's SEO which resolves on the same IP? I'm asking this do to the numerous search engine hits on the troublesome domain on the same IP.

Hello,

Create a virtual host with that domain and disable logging within it.

CustomLog /dev/null
ErrorLog /dev/null

Just redirect them to a page where you can sell them something, hehe :)

Hello,

Create a virtual host with that domain and disable logging within it.

CustomLog /dev/null
ErrorLog /dev/null

Thanks a lot. I could try that only if I knew how I could create a virtual host. I'm not sure if I need to follow the instructions provided here.

Regards

@sysdev Well, using that workabout requires me adding the domain first which I do not plan to do. Thanks for the idea, anyways.

I once had a lot of traffic from china routed to my IP for several domains.

Made a nice page for them with google ads.. Got like $190 in just a couple of months. While I didn't add the domain to my system, the system default page suited fine for this anyways.

Back