DNS NS Not resolving

ctrl

I've setup several servers with DA before, I for the life of me can't figure out what is going on here.
Installed DA, followed the instructions regarding nameservers here:
http://www.directadmin.com/newinstall.html
Everything is setup, I've comapared to other DA installs I have, everything looks identical within DA.

DA seems to be setup fine, the IP in the browser heads to the Apache is functioning normally. I've made an entry in my hosts file for the domain and the ip, it then loads as normal which tells me everything on the DA / server side of things is working correctly.

I've checked at Enom where the domain is registered, pointing to the server (pic below is on the server), It's been 5 days and the domain is not resolving.

Can any one think what I've missed?

http://78.47.178.85/~admin/enom.jpg

:confused:

named.conf

Ok, I found the issue. I got the motivational kick in the pants I needed to get this done.

I had the zones in named.conf, I reread the named file and found I should have added them to named.conf.local, ran a bind status and found errors for the duplicate zones. I removed them from named.conf, restarted bind and the errors went away. Restart httpd and everything works.

Checked ths document as well: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=387

Running the latest & fully up to date Debian Jessie btw.

Results in case anyone comes acrosss this from google:
Port 53 is open:
Code:
root@server:/# nmap -p 53 [I]x.x.x.x[/I]
Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-07-30 11:35 CEST
PORT   STATE SERVICE
53/tcp open  domain

Code:
cat /var/run/named/named.pid
Returns the process ID so is running.

root@server1 /etc/bind # cat named.conf
Code:
// This is the primary configuration file for the BIND DNS server named.
//
// Please read /usr/share/doc/bind9/README.Debian.gz for information on the
// structure of BIND configuration files in Debian, *BEFORE* you customize
// this configuration file.
//
// If you are just adding zones, please do that in [B]/etc/bind/named.conf.local[/B]

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";
[I]zone ................ };
zone ................ };
zone ................ };[/I]

root@server1 /etc/bind # service bind9 status
Code:
● bind9.service - LSB: Start and stop bind9
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/bind9)
  Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/bind9.service.d
           └─50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
   Active: [COLOR="#FF0000"]failed[/COLOR] (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2015-07-30 14:33:13 CEST; 1min 45s ago
  Process: 27567 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/bind9 stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 27651 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/bind9 start [COLOR="#FF0000"](code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)[/COLOR]
 Main PID: 599 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] named[27660]: using 2 UDP listeners per interface
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] named[27660]: using up to 4096 sockets
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] named[27660]: loading configuration from '/etc/bind/named.conf'
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] named[27660]: [COLOR="#FF0000"]/etc/bind/named.conf:12: zone '[I]host.name.com[/I]': already[/COLOR]
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] named[27660]: [COLOR="#FF0000"]/etc/bind/named.conf:13: zone '[I]host.name.com[/I]': already exists p[/COLOR]
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] named[27660]: [COLOR="#FF0000"]/etc/bind/named.conf:14: zone '[I]host.name.com[/I]': already exists[/COLOR]
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] bind9[27651]: Starting domain name service...: bind9 failed!
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] systemd[1]: bind9.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] systemd[1]: [COLOR="#FF0000"]Failed to start LSB: Start and stop bind9.[/COLOR]
Jul 30 14:33:13 [I]host.name.com[/I] systemd[1]: Unit bind9.service entered failed state.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

root@server1 /etc/bind # service bind9 stop
root@server1 /etc/bind # service bind9 start
root@server1 /etc/bind # service bind9 status
Code:
● bind9.service - LSB: Start and stop bind9
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/bind9)
  Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/bind9.service.d
           └─50-insserv.conf-$named.conf
   Active: [COLOR="#FF0000"][COLOR="#00FF00"]active (exited)[/COLOR][/COLOR] since Thu 2015-07-30 14:35:17 CEST; 3s ago
  Process: 27567 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/bind9 stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 27815 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/bind9 start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCES
 Main PID: 599 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jul 30 14:35:17 [I]host.name.com[/I] bind9[27815]: Starting domain name ser
Jul 30 14:35:17 [I]host.name.com[/I] systemd[1]: Started LSB: Start and sto

As I said, I restarted httpd and checked that everything now works as expected.

Thanks.

Looks like something is working I was able to do nslookup's and dig ctrlaltserver.com and any of the default hostnames (ftp, mail, www, etc) resolved fine.

the omain ctrlaltserver.com is working fine, i can see the directadmin default webpage, i can also ping it, but it ping on a different IP, not the one you provided but the one that is actually showing enom.

Also intodns now show everything is fine with that domain: http://intodns.com/ctrlaltserver.com

So, i may be lost, what is your problem on it?

Regards

On my end, the ctrlaltserver.com domain resolves to this IP:

When I manually query the domain on the 45.79.143.198 IP, I don't get any results, likely meaning the domain isn't added to the named.conf.. or perhaps named isn't restarted, or something like that. Port 53 on 45.79.143.198 for both tcp and udp is open, manually testing confirmed that.. but the issue for 45.79.143.198 is that the domain isn't added there... or perhaps lookups from remote IPs are disabled.

Side note, DA calls:
service named restart

and not "bind9". It may not matter if the script is linked, but if it has different startup options, that could be a factor.

John

On my end, the ctrlaltserver.com domain resolves to this IP:

When I manually query the domain on the 45.79.143.198 IP, I don't get any results, likely meaning the domain isn't added to the named.conf.. or perhaps named isn't restarted, or something like that. Port 53 on 45.79.143.198 for both tcp and udp is open, manually testing confirmed that.. but the issue for 45.79.143.198 is that the domain isn't added there... or perhaps lookups from remote IPs are disabled.

Side note, DA calls:
service named restart

and not "bind9". It may not matter if the script is linked, but if it has different startup options, that could be a factor.

John

Hmmm. We've restarted all services and rebooted - no effect. The domains appear in named.conf.

Code:
zone "server2.workerscompensation.com" { type master; file "/var/named/server2.w
orkerscompensation.com.db"; };
zone "sarasotaroast.com" { type master; file "/var/named/sarasotaroast.com.db";
};
zone "workcompanalysisgroup.com" { type master; file "/var/named/workcompanalysi
sgroup.com.db"; };

This is going to be a secondary server, so we have the DNS pointed to ww2.sarasotaroast.com, and it should come up. We only get the Apache Function message, however.

One more thing - when we created a new domain name manually, it immediately resolved. The two that were on there were restored from backups. We deleted them, and then tried to set up the sarasotaroast.com domain as a new record, but it continues to fail. Not sure what that means, but to someone else it may point to where we need to look.

workcompanalysisgroup.com and sarasotaroast.com have NS set to use domaincontrol.com

If you wanna them to show on your server, you got two ways:

1 - Change the NS at the registar
2 - Go to domaincontrol and set the correct IP for DNS there

Is definitly not something related to your server apparently, but a missocnfiguration at registar somehow.

Also, providing us the server IP should allow us to actually check if your DNS Server is working find and if is well configured to serve those two domains, but also if the test success, untill you dont fix the NS at the registar or set the DNS where they are demanded to, you will not solve anything.

Regards

I use GoDaddy DNS control, as directing by IP is extremely fast to switch when needed. workcompanalysisgroup has not been configured to point at new server yet. Go to ww2.sarasotaroast.com. You will see it is resolving to the server, but the server is failing to resolve to the domain. Thsi is the same configuration I've used on a half dozen DA machines. Never had this problem before.

Resolved

Hi Guys,
Thankyou for your responses. I posted the results and the resolution of the issue yesterday, unfortunately the post has not appeared in this thread for some reason and I cannot repost the information as I'm in a different location / network at the moment.
Regards,
Ctrl

It appears the post from yesterday might not have been approved or was sent for approval and has disappeared? Which is a shame as I spent some time writing up the information for others that have the same issue I had in the future.

From memory, I ran nmap on port 53 to the affected server, no issues.
I checked named was running and returned a Process ID.
I checked named.conf and found the zone information in that file, but missed a comment in there about using named.con.local which one of serveral files is called by named.conf (include....).
I moved the zone information to the named.conf.local.
I ran service bind status and found the remaining errors, removing them and restarting bind fixed then instantly fixed the issue.

Regards,
Ctrl

Post approved,

probably me and John made some confusion replying and noticing the moderated post.

I've personally made confusion with two users here that (ctrl and srqwebguy).

ctrl, ok you've fixed your issue
srqwebguy you're issue seems to be more httpd configuration related since you're not using DA DNS as you sayd, so, the problem is quite different eventually.

Since srqwebguy sayd was having a similar issue i made confusion, in fact, those issue are not similar at all apparently :) One was DNS related and has been fixed, the other one is httpd related.

So, srqwebguy,
check if the httpd.conf file has correctly been written in /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/USERNAME/ , if it is, try restart apache.
Also, make sure that the actual showed page is not the right one, i mean, it may be that in the user public_html folder there is the index.html that looks like the one in /var/www/html/

Regards

I'm on the road for a few days with limited access, but I will check that out. Thanks!

Finally had a chance to look at this. httpd.conf appears to be correct, with all the correct pathways and files established. The default index file created by DA is correct in /home/admin/domains/sarasotaroast.com/public_html, but server continues to resolve to the index in /var/www/html/.

I have tested two domains on this server. One was originally imported in a restore from another DA machine (sarasotaroast.com). The other domain was created via the DA panel ont he machine as a new domain. That one resolves correctly. Even though I've deleted the sarasotaroast.com domain and tried creating it as a new one, it still will not resolve to the proper directory.

I am going to contact support again regarding this.

Back