Details for a Let’s Encrypt plugin [ open source idea ]

I see some people already using this plugin in production on an unstable version. This is not recommended. Many changes are planned to be made to the plugin, all things done (signed domains and so on) in the past may be lost or must be cleared in the stable release. And I won't create BC for this, because it isn't stable yet. Just be patient.

Also; the plugin isn't checked for security issues yet.

Hi Wouter,

Thank you for the update, reading this I'm happy I did not install it yet. Hope you guys can fix the issues that are open soon so a first version (even if it would be beta) can be installed through directadmin directly. Already any idea when that would be or is it still to be determened?

Regards, Niels

Hi Wouter,

Thank you for the update, reading this I'm happy I did not install it yet. Hope you guys can fix the issues that are open soon so a first version (even if it would be beta) can be installed through directadmin directly. Already any idea when that would be or is it still to be determened?

Regards, Niels

Development is going slowly but good. I can't give any estimation.

The latest version requires a pre-release build of DirectAdmin to work properly.

Just read the OP. What's the difference between this plugin and official support which comes with DA 1.49.2?

It seems development is currently suspended because of this, see f91d3e8.

The plugin was kind of heading to much more options than the info currently available on the official implementation. Another feature I can think of is the SAN certificates which would include directadmin type subdomains and pointers.

Maybe if the DA version is very limited and a high demand was there to finish this plugin I could imagine the dev team could pick up again.

In one way I feel this is good news that DA is implementing this, on the other hand the plugin was going to be very nice and would maybe have more features.

We're currently waiting for where this DA implementation is heading. If it has all the features, I don't see any reason to continue the development. When it lacks too much features, we could consider to continue the development.

When it's isn't being released at all (is that a possibility? :'P) we'll continue for sure. I kinda like the idea: native Let's Encrypt support in DirectAdmin ;).

Why not e-mail DA and ask them what features and when they are going to implement. They have always been very helpful when the discussion is constructive.

Let's Encrypt is now part of DA, i honestly didn'èt read the whole thread to check if the plugin was going to have additional useful things, but, in that case, would be nice to email those to DA staff or add them as a FR here in the forum to have them implemented.

If the plugin was "just" going to create the cert and assign it to the user, well the internal DA feature already manage that :)

I'm sorry for all the work involved and done on this, but actually if i may give my 2 cent, it's better that is offically supported for a long-time support by DA Staff in case of new feature or new requested needed for implementation.

Regards

Me to. We better have native support by DirectAdmin then our plugin.. ;) The sad thing is: many sysadmins already installed the plugin on prod environments.. Some people just can't read. :(

Why not to change the plugin to extend features of the native support of LE by Directadmin? There are many ways to improve native features.

Hello,

Probably you could switch to StartEncrypt:

https://startssl.com/StartEncrypt

Compare with Let’s Encrypt, StartEncrypt support Windows and Linux server for most popular web server software, and have many incomparable advantages as:

(1) Not just get the SSL certificate automatically, but install it automatically;

(2) Not just Encrypted, but also identity validated to display EV Green Bar and OV organization name in the certificate;

(3) Not just 90 days period certificate, but up to 39 months, more than 1180 days;

(4) Not just low assurance DV SSL certificate, but also high assurance OV SSL certificate and green bar EV SSL certificate;

(5) Not just for one domain, but up to 120 domains with wildcard support;

(6) All OV SSL certificate and EV SSL certificate are free, just make sure your StartSSL account is verified as Class 3 or Class 4 identity.

Back