[Feature request] Use backup_tmpdir for "local" backups too (locally mounted NFS)

websafe

Verified User
[Feature request] Use backup_tmpdir for "local" backups too (locally mounted NFS)

Currently `backup_tmpdir` is used only for remote FTP destinations.
But when we're using a locally mounted remote NFS share for a backup destination,
the temporary dirs/files are created on that locally mounted remote NFS share,
which is crazy with huge accounts, because:

1. DA copies temporary all user data to that locally mounted remote NFS share
(data goes over network once, uncompressed, slow, because NFS is slow with
huge amounts of files)

2. Then all these copied data is being tar-gzipped locally and stored on this share,
so the data goes back (uncompressed) and forth (compressed) over the network again.

It would be great to have one of these features:

1. Allow to force the usage of `backup_tmpdir`defined in directadmin.conf via backup config.

2. Or detect NFS destinations as remote locations and use `backup_tmpdir`
as usual for remote backup destinations.

Or simply add an option when defining backups, like "Use local `backup_tmpdir`".

Hello,

I guess you are referring to this feature:

Code:
backup_tmpdir=/home/tmp

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=883

So you are sure it does not work for backups to internal or mounted HDD, aren't you?

If so, then I'd vote for this too. With some VPS providers we have network storage mounted for backups, and it would be a good way to speed up the backup process. As for autodetect, it might not work on VPS as you see /dev/vdb (for example). So, we'd like to get an adjustable option in directadmin.conf too.

@zEitEr yes and yes :)

I have NFS backup shares mounted in /mnt/backup and the backup process is using this location to create the temporary copy before targzipping.

For example when backing up user `xyz`, which resides in /home/xyz, the backup process first copies all required data to /mnt/backup/xyz and from this data the final tar.gz is being created and then /mnt/backup/xyz is deleted.

So it would be great to be able to somehow force backup_tmpdir even for "local" backups (NFS is in this case considered local because it's locally mounted).

Back