Retry time not reached

toktokcity

Verified User
For two domains I do get this log;

HTML:
2017-11-02 06:42:54 1eA8HE-0000Mi-Vm ** [email protected] <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: all hosts for 'planet.nl' have been failing for a long time (and retry time not reached)
2017-11-02 06:42:54 1eA8HE-0000Mi-Vm ** [email protected] <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: all hosts for 'kpnmail.nl' have been failing for a long time (and retry time not reached)

HTML:
Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]

Two questions;
Could it be that my server is being blocked by planet.nl and kpnmail.nl (same company)?
How do I clear the EXIM retry items? At the moment it looks like there is not even a try, I do directly receive the error message.

What I did already;
HTML:
/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim retry
and
/usr/sbin/exim_tidydb -t 1d /var/spool/exim wait-remote_smtp

Last edited:
Hello,

Could it be that my server is being blocked by planet.nl and kpnmail.nl (same company)?

It might be the reason. But your data posted above do not prove it.

Discovered by support of KPN that the IP was on a list by Symantec they are using for their customers. Little bit frustrating that I couldn't discover that myself, because Symantec is not integrated in kown blacklist checks. I did place a removal request. I thank it works again now. Thanks for your reply Alex!

Link for Symantec blacklist removal: http://ipremoval.sms.symantec.com/lookup/

toktokcity, thanks a ton for posting this. After spending over three hours trying to figure out whats going on, I stumbled across this thread and its the same issue.
I'm thinking symantec falsely flagged a couple of servers. The delay messages caused me to think it wasnt a blacklist problem, especially since the mxtoolbox list showed no issues.
Thanks again!

At the moment I am facing the same issue with kpnmail.nl but it seems they have now shifted the blacklisting to Cloudmark.

I am quite sure they flagged a false positive but they refrain to delist me.
Even when they fail to respond to my questions regarding more information as to why they consider it spam.

Mailing with Cloudmark atm to see if they can resolve it before we have to start with claims and such.

Well,

I have sent them a mail stating that if it turned out to be a false positive we would start with filing claims.
After only 10 minutes I got a reply to say they have unblocked us...

You would think Cloudmark would be aware that people use mail forwarders.
This time they blocked us because of a forwarded message from MailChimp to kpnmail.nl

Is this common with mail forwarders?
Are there any steps that can be taken to reduce this from occuring?

Forwarders and bounced messages can certainly bring troubles. I'd suggest that you use SpamAssassin, RBL, Easy Spam Fighter, BlockCracking on Directadmin servers. They should reduce number of incoming and forwarded SPAM

- Why forwarders to external mailservers can be dangerous for your server
https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=471

Back