SSH: Root AOK, Users Blocked

jlpeifer

Verified User
I've Googled this and can't seem to find an answer that fits my situation. I'm in the process of migrating accounts from an old DA server to a fresh one. O/S = CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core).

I can log in to the server via SSH as root. Attempts to log into SSH as a user, however, seem to get "booted". I say "booted" because it appears that a connection is made momentarily, then immediately closed. Here are two consecutive login attempts as a user (as you can see, the server DOES indicate a previous login before it closes the connection).
Code:
pc-1:~ Home$ ssh -p 23232 [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:
Last login: Fri Dec 14 12:05:54 2018 from 222.222.222.222.not.a.real.host.duh.com
Connection to webhosting.yaddahost.com closed.
pc-1:~ Home$ ssh -p 23232 [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:
Last login: Fri Dec 14 12:06:24 2018 from 222.222.222.222.not.a.real.host.duh.com
Connection to webhosting.yaddahost.com closed.

I've checked the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and my users are all shown there (e.g. AllowUsers yadda).

When I go into DA --> Show All Users --> yadda --> Modify User yadda --> [check] SSH Access --> Save
I get error
Code:
An error has occurred
Details
Error with system Quotas
setquota: Mountpoint (or device) / not found or has no quota enabled. setquota: Not all specified mountpoints are using quota.
Debug Guide

Here's my df -h
Code:
Filesystem                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tank5tb/subvol-177-disk-1  200G   27G  174G  14% /
none                       492K     0  492K   0% /dev
udev                        10M     0   10M   0% /dev/tty
tmpfs                      7.9G   28K  7.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                      7.9G  142M  7.7G   2% /run
tmpfs                      7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                      154M     0  154M   0% /run/user/0
tmpfs                      154M     0  154M   0% /run/user/1006

Here's my /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/root               /                       rootfs   defaults        0 0

I'm not sure if this is all related in some way?

Help appreciated!

Hello,

Well, probably you have some custom scripts under /home/yadda/. Check .bashrc and .bash_profile, and other scripts starting with a dot.

The error is not related to your issue.

Apparently this was a VPS issue. I bounced this question off of my VPS provider. Not sure if it’ll be relevant to anyone else, but here was his reply...

This was a huge PITA.

Short version: it works now.

Long version: this idiot called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennart_Poettering who deserves to be beaten and spat upon, not only succeeded in getting Linux to adopt a new way of starting system services, but, integrated his retarded ideas into how users are handled also. Since all kinds of dependencies are created by his crap software, some of what was needed is not even installed in the base Centos image. And, when you are doing things with root, you don't notice, because, you are root and can do everything.

Should be fixed - please test!

Well, very emotional and impressive ;) But what did they install? What a package was missing?

I've never seen such an issue with Centos 7 using and maintaining VPS from various providers.

Back