Hourly cron admin backup

Zhenyapan

Verified User
Hello,

When I trying to add: 5 * * * * cron for hourly backup at admin level, i received notice:
---
"You must use a number for the hour (0-23). You can only have a cron run once per day. (You can make more than one cron)"
---
so for hourly backup I must create 24 separate tasks? Also i have tried: 5 1,2,3,4 * * * and 5 */1 * * * and 5 0-23 * * * - all the same.
Help me please.

Hello,

When I trying to add: 5 * * * * cron for hourly backup at admin level, i received notice:
---
"You must use a number for the hour (0-23). You can only have a cron run once per day. (You can make more than one cron)"
---
so for hourly backup I must create 24 separate tasks? Also i have tried: 5 1,2,3,4 * * * and 5 */1 * * * and 5 0-23 * * * - all the same.
Help me please.

yes you need 24 seperate cron!

I understanding the logic on this in that crons could stack/overwrite, but it's really time consuming to have to create 24 different crons if you want to use the backup system - and then multiples of these if you want to backup separate datasets. I "WISH" there was a function or workaround to change this so that you could do an * or comma separated list for hourlies.

We think hourly backup is not useful if overwritten! separate hourly backups in different folders is better! if you overwrite backup in hourly manner is can become useless because your latest backup maybe include all damages too! and you will loose your good backups very soon!

I have hourly/2 "selected data" (mysql) and it creates to separate autogenerated folders (Append to path: %A%H) so i have every second hour backup for last 7 days. (12*7=84 backups).
And at userlevel cron for scripts allows * * * * * but admin backup cron no :(

Yes, I do the same (auto-generated folders) and it's either a pain to create/edit all the backup tasks - or a pain to prune directories. Why not allow for *'s across the board?

When I have a mass group to edit/add/etc. I just do it with vi editing: /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/backup_crons.list - just be careful and make a backup of the original file.

Hello folks at DA. Is there a workaround for this? With modern systems that do versioning, it's just a pain to manage so many different redundant crons. Also, for those using variables to represent the hour of the day, the same is true.

Back