HELP! Huge MX-record problem

kenchangnl

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with the DNS Management from a client.
I need to add an MX-record for Office 365: 'blav-nl01e.mail.protection.outlook.com'.
When I first added this record, sending an email gave a delivery failure, then I discovered DirectAdmin made it: ''blav-nl01e.mail.protection.outlook.com.'

I deleted the record and added it again, but now the MX-record is completely gone in WhoIs databases, but visible in DirectAdmin.

Does anyone know:

1) How I add ''blav-nl01e.mail.protection.outlook.com' to the MX without a point after .com?

2) Does anyone know why my new MX-record is visible in DirectAdmin, but not in the domain itself?

I hope you can help me, because all the helpdesks in my country are closed now...

Hello.

1.) Why do you think you should not have a dot behind the domain name? It should be there in the MX record so you should not remove it.
The line you have is not the only thing you need.

There is more. Have al look at this post with an example of how it should look:
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=44058&p=234190#post234190

2.) Could be caused by an error in the mx record. I would fix 1.) first and then see if things still go wrong.

Hello,

Is that a wrong domain for MX?

Code:
# host blav-nl01e.mail.protection.outlook.com
Host blav-nl01e.mail.protection.outlook.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

If this is the case, I would not expect it to work.

I would expect it to be blav-nl.mail.protection.outlook.com, but it does not resolve either.

Code:
# host blav-nl.mail.protection.outlook.com
Host blav-nl.mail.protection.outlook.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

So you might need to check your domain and settings in Office 365 and then add a MX record the way Richard has already mentioned with a final dot.

Back