webmail default

factor

Verified User
Can we have this just be implemented in the system by default?

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=633

Or

At least have directadmin.conf option for 1 do webmail as subdomain or 0 dont?

Notes and Clarification:
When I say "default" I don't mean a forced on everyone make it webmail.domain.com and nothing else... No.

I mean can we have the system pre-configured in a way that. I don't have to maintain custom files and follow some guide to get webmail.domain.com on the server.

I don't want to change the way anyone is doing something. I want a option or a choice. The current standard way is domain.com/webmail no configuration necessary it can stay default
cool.gif

I just want the option to choose webmail.domain.com with out me having to maintain or build it like in the https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=633

I think my choice of the word "Default" everyone thought I meant take away domain.com/webmail.

Last edited:
I also vote for this option. The "webmail" subdomain should then redirect the user to the "default" webmail software (that would be an option in the admin, reseller and user settings).

Please note that there is already a default redirect in place for domain.com/webmail wich redirect to the default webmail on the server.

Please note that there is already a default redirect in place for domain.com/webmail wich redirect to the default webmail on the server.

This option is "hardcoded" on directadmin.conf, right? My suggestion is to have this as an option in the Control Panel, where Admin, Resellers and Users could change it individually.

Ditto correct.. I am asking for that to be on the front like in the guide.

One more vote for this
Is very important especially for clients who previous was CP, its difficult to explain to them

Yep so all clients using DA for years are used to this.
So don't change that.

More options is OK i gues for the long old DA Customers and clients , but this
domain.com/webmail
should stay default as it was?

We aren't used to Cpanel so our clients aren't , and don't want a CPANEL!

Subdomain and or alias has a lot more isues i expect with LE and extra's , (wen having per domainname / subdomain mail a LE , dkim and so on , and not for the host)

Better for the BRAND Directadmin it has it own policies and rules templates , layout ,and workflow... every DA admin/user/reseller is used to for years now! if whatever User using then they know and see hey this is Directadmin and yes seeing they are different and doiing a very good job. :eek: to be different and better ...

Not trying to be a makeoff, some ex CPANEL user / Admin are trying such advices with other Controlpanels to now.

This is a kind of bad behaviour in my view, you want or Directadmin or CPANEL, not a cheaper Directadmin that is going to do the same as expensive Cpanel. (copycats and more nonono )

Kate Perry did a kind of such thing with a song i think. :cool:

Some are handling / having per Customer / reseller / user a max domain / subdomain that is going a problem then to! i expect?

Also if using external DNS service you need then more dns records and sometimes have to pay more for those! DDOS dns services aren't cheap to !

Last edited:
-1 for that.

As @ditto said. Al our customers are used to useing domain.com/webmail and so is the default setting in cPanel. There is no need to change this to a subdomain version.
Please leave it as it is.

If it can be an adjustable option, I could agree but only when it's defaulting to the current da default.

Can we have this just be implemented in the system by default?

https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=633

Or

At least have directadmin.conf option for 1 do webmail as subdomain or 0 dont?

ALL:

Richard G, ikkeben and I have been recently talking. They made me see a error in my request.. I how I worded it.

When I say "default" I don't mean a forced on everyone make it webmail.domain.com and nothing else... No.

I mean can we have the system pre-configured in a way that. I don't have to maintain custom files and follow some guide to get webmail.domain.com on the server.

I don't want to change the way anyone is doing something. I want a option or a choice. The current standard way is domain.com/webmail no configuration necessary it can stay default :cool:

I just want the option to choose webmail.domain.com with out me having to maintain or build it like in the https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=633

I think my choice of the word "Default" everyone thought I meant take away domain.com/webmail. Sorry... I dont mean that at all. I caused you all to not like me or think I am rude please forgive me. I just want another option.

I also want to reaffirm I am very happy to be here and I like DA very much.

I caused you all to not like me or think I am rude please forgive me.

I also want to reaffirm I am very happy to be here and I like DA very much.

Most Dutch have a nice way to be rude also. :cool: is ok!

I hope only if option is comming as extra that is not going to "interfere " and causing bugs or so , or other difficulties to handle.

It is possible now but you have todo some extra work yep.

Last edited:
I caused you all to not like me or think I am rude please forgive me.
No problem there, you were not rude, you are always polite in your questions and answers so far, so no complaints there.
So no harm done there and no offence taken. At least not by me. But sometimes we get the impression it looks like people want to create kind of a cPanel clone of DA and we don't like that. Maybe it's just because there are so many questions at this point from a lot of people about "change this, change that", which might have caused us to answer a bit more intense. I did not want to hurt feelings or be blunt, sorry if you (or anybody else) might have interpreted it that way.

I want a option or a choice.
In that case I already answered, I can agree with that, provided it will be set to a domain.com/webmail as a default.

However, since the way DA is working at this moment as it is with the template, I'm doubting if it's possible to create a switchable option like that as it would take some rewriting to be done when the choice changes, also ssl certificates, dns requests... I don't know.
But in anyway I'm not blunt against a switchable option. Only against a default option. Switchable is fine with me as long as it does not slow down the original system.

Maybe it's just because there are so many questions at this point from a lot of people about "change this, change that", which might have caused us to answer a bit more intense.

I know. I thought about this. It's like you all had your own party going on and a bunch of folks crashed.. I would be defensive too if they said Led Zeppelin was not the greatest band ever... and wanted to change the music to some other band.

Frankly I think DA is a lot better in a lot of ways than cPanel.

It's like you all had your own party going on and a bunch of folks crashed..
Well... it's not like crashed really... there is certainly room for improvement in DA with some things cPanel has and DA has not (or different). No problem on that part ofcourse. I for example like the DNS stuff of cPanel a lot better then the one from DA, being able to change dns records instead of having to remove them and create the new ones again. And the local mail checker on exit for example.
Unless this is possible in the new DA Evolution them (did not check that yet), I wonder why there was no request for this yet, because that would make live really easier for admins and customers with DNS access.

It was more an overwelming of request which made us go into defense mode as we specifically choose DA for good reasons and we don't want to become clones.:)
But things are clear now. Us old guys can go drink our beer now again (or some other refreshment) and enjoy the sun. ;)

Back