imagick Forever Updating (Current Version 0)

On a new DirectAdmin server ("dev") I installed DirectAdmin, all required packages, made sure yum stock stuff was updated, too. I installed custombuild2 and custombuild web GUI.

In custombuild 2 PHP Settings on the web I selected:

5.6 php-fpm php2
secure_php yes
opcache no
php_ini production
imagick yes
mod_ruid2 no
harden_symlinks_patch yes

I also turned on ClamAV, Easy Spam Fighter, etc.

When I return to Update Software I am presented with a list of my software, everything Current Version 0 (ImageMagick doesn't show a 0, just blank) and all have correct Available Version listed. I see MariaDB is already installed but old (v5), etc. everything looks fine.

I hit Update All and everything finishes, but when I go back into CustomBuild 2 GUI I am presented now with Current Version 0 for:

Easy Spam Fighter, ClamAV, PHP 5.6 (but shows Available Version correctly)
MariaDB is the only thing listed with a current version (5.5) upgrade to 10.4.6. The rest are Current Version 0.

No, CustomBuild is really a part of DirectAdmin! :) pubkey access is fine: https://www.directadmin.com/authorized_keys

I am going to message you so that you can log in to my primary DirectAdmin where the original imagick / ImageMagick issue happened, where it's still showing imagick 0, says it's installed on php info but doesn't seem to exist in php -v...? Since I am now having the issue across 3 servers, if we can focus on just 1 with the imagick original issue, I think we will figure out the rest of the 0's.

Sending message now for logins.

I think "Update All" is the culprit :) As "Build php" is needed after PHP changes. May you check if that solves the problem?

I think "Update All" is the culprit :) As "Build php" is needed after PHP changes. May you check if that solves the problem?

I went into the custombuild2 options on DirectAdmin and did a Build on PHP, I can see it went through the motions (php-7.2.20, php56 etc...)

Installing online manual
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mod_fcgid-2.3.9'
mod_fcgid-2.3.9 has been installed successfully.
PHP has been secured.
Restarting php-fpm72.
Rewriting all users httpd.conf files, please wait...
Debug mode. Level 10
dataskq: command: action=rewrite&value=httpd
Restarting php-fpm72.
Restarting apache.
Done!

After I refresh the whole page (not just go back to the Update tab), the message disappears!

For my future reference...

Is this a normal action for custombuild to not run PHP to finish the updates?

How does this work when you have DirectAdmin set to auto update everything (including custombuild stuff) -- will it ever run a bunch of updates and then get stuck needing me to manually "Build" PHP again? I'm sure auto update everything will be set for a lot of "ns2" style backup DNS (ala cPanel DNSONLY) and that's why I'm curious.

I am going to run this on the other servers now to clear them up! :D :eek:

The problem is that you did not have any initial configuration of PHP :) When you have it - "update" is really fine to be used. If you change phpX_mode/release, "build PHP" is recommended. Of course - we could try detecting it and show a warning, if you find it confusing.

I went into the custombuild2 options on DirectAdmin and did a Build on PHP, I can see it went through the motions (php-7.2.20, php56 etc...)

Installing online manual
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mod_fcgid-2.3.9'
mod_fcgid-2.3.9 has been installed successfully.
PHP has been secured.
Restarting php-fpm72.
Rewriting all users httpd.conf files, please wait...
Debug mode. Level 10
dataskq: command: action=rewrite&value=httpd
Restarting php-fpm72.
Restarting apache.
Done!

After I refresh the whole page (not just go back to the Update tab), the message disappears!

For my future reference...

Is this a normal action for custombuild to not run PHP to finish the updates?

How does this work when you have DirectAdmin set to auto update everything (including custombuild stuff) -- will it ever run a bunch of updates and then get stuck needing me to manually "Build" PHP again? I'm sure auto update everything will be set for a lot of "ns2" style backup DNS (ala cPanel DNSONLY) and that's why I'm curious.

I am going to run this on the other servers now to clear them up! :D :eek:
2 thumbs up...

The problem is that you did not have any initial configuration of PHP :) When you have it - "update" is really fine to be used. If you change phpX_mode/release, "build PHP" is recommended. Of course - we could try detecting it and show a warning, if you find it confusing.

At least coming from the cPanel world, I would assume that custombuild (like EasyApache) would complete the entire task if it detects fresh install, as I don't know many web control panels that do not include PHP at some point. For me, and I'm sure many new DA users, custombuild + web GUI is literally a requirement, as is LetsEncrypt. Hell, I know cPanel runs some things twice just because it can do less checks...since the server hardware has gotten faster cPanel has gotten lazier, fatter.

I think part of what confused me is during the DirectAdmin setup, it asks if you want to go with some default php7 stuff, and when I say yes, then install custombuild + GUI, I only assume that my first interaction with updating PHP (adding versions) or changing modules (imagick), it would do a sanity check for new installations and build/rebuild PHP.

It's something I will definitely need to remember as I convert the rest of my servers to DirectAdmin. I'm trying to build up a small set of instructions that I should be doing on all servers: LetsEncrypt (absolutely need SSL after setup...), custombuild + GUI (requirement), etc.

One other thing I think I mentioned before, I'm really looking into Scaling DirectAdmin settings (like tweak/performance for cPanel). Now, this isn't specifically related to control panels, but small initial things that I will change always on new install, like how many Apache children fork, etc. to prepare "DirectAdmin Servers" for load. cPanel goes into what I think are way too many tiny options, but those related to Initial Setup and Performance I think are important to new DirectAdmin users who need a quick migration from cPanel without crippling themselves going from say a "Master Reseller" cPanel account to an unlimited DirectAdmin with less than perfect server knowledge, but the same CentOS. Over time, "WHM Admins" forget how many little things are needed to change manually that cPanel has slowly incorporated as a form field.

Now, I know DirectAdmin is not cPanel, and they operate differently -- and the fact that it supports FreeBSD as well speaks volumes for its simplicity, security, and appeal. I'm not looking for a cPanel clone, but I feel that some of my concerns as a brand new DirectAdmin user with an "easy button" of so many years on cPanel's tit, some of my questions are going to be searched frequently as others run into these small differences and knowledge gaps.

I'm probably an ideal DA customer. I don't need Bobcares to migrate me out, but after all these cPanel years there are a few niceties that cPanel has (Plesk had... maybe HSphere had?) to split up a bit more of the basic conf files.

One other tiny example is the default SSH port. Instant notices because of port 22, message/emails for Brute Force Attempt, and yes I always change the default port in sshd_config, but it would be nice to have that presented somewhere initially for security. There's so much "noise" on the internet with auto scanners, port 22 is full of trash. One thing a lot of cPanel users don't do is firewall properly -- so changing that default port (and maybe the default DirectAdmin port) as an option under Web GUI would be nice. I hope it's not already there and I missed it, because I did most editing on command line where, like I said, just for a few more things, cPanel gives you the option on the web to tweak.

... I wrote a long reply to this but I think I'm having some vBulletin hiccups, where it might think my Reply is a New Thread and holds for moderation? I hope that reply didn't bite the dust!

At least coming from the cPanel world, I would assume that custombuild (like EasyApache) would complete the entire task if it detects fresh install, as I don't know many web control panels that do not include PHP at some point. For me, and I'm sure many new DA users, custombuild + web GUI is literally a requirement, as is LetsEncrypt. Hell, I know cPanel runs some things twice just because it can do less checks...since the server hardware has gotten faster cPanel has gotten lazier, fatter.

I think part of what confused me is during the DirectAdmin setup, it asks if you want to go with some default php7 stuff, and when I say yes, then install custombuild + GUI, I only assume that my first interaction with updating PHP (adding versions) or changing modules (imagick), it would do a sanity check for new installations and build/rebuild PHP.

I've just rewrote that part completely, it has the 'expected' behaviour now :) (it's fine to click "update" now, and it'd get configs ready for you). CustomBuild 2.0 rev. 2166 and newer. Thank you!

Last edited:
I've just rewrite that part completely, it has the 'expected' behaviour now :) (it's fine to click "update" now, and it'd get configs ready for you). CustomBuild 2.0 rev. 2166 and newer. Thank you!

The man, the myth, the legend.

Thank you, Sir!

Hello,

the same error on all FreeBSD servers:

Done. Making ImageMagick-7.0.8-46...
Trying to make imagemagick...
--- all ---
make all-am
--- utilities/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- utilities/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickCore/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- coders/.dirstamp ---
--- coders/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- filters/.dirstamp ---
--- filters/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickCore/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickWand/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickWand/.dirstamp ---
--- Magick++/lib/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- Magick++/lib/.dirstamp ---
make[1]: make[1]: don't know how to make MagickCore/ImageMagick-7.Q16HDRI.pc. Stop

make[1]: stopped in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/ImageMagick-7.0.8-46
*** [all] Error code 2

make: stopped in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/ImageMagick-7.0.8-46

*** The make has failed, would you like to try to make again? (y,n):

CustomBuild 2.0 rev.2167

Hello,

the same error on all FreeBSD servers:

Done. Making ImageMagick-7.0.8-46...
Trying to make imagemagick...
--- all ---
make all-am
--- utilities/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- utilities/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickCore/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- coders/.dirstamp ---
--- coders/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- filters/.dirstamp ---
--- filters/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickCore/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickWand/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- MagickWand/.dirstamp ---
--- Magick++/lib/.deps/.dirstamp ---
--- Magick++/lib/.dirstamp ---
make[1]: make[1]: don't know how to make MagickCore/ImageMagick-7.Q16HDRI.pc. Stop

make[1]: stopped in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/ImageMagick-7.0.8-46
*** [all] Error code 2

*** The make has failed, would you like to try to make again? (y,n):

CustomBuild 2.0 rev.2167

May you create a ticket with access details on this? Thank you.

Back