Support an option to use External PowerDNS for DNS services

weaselweb

I realize that this will probably be a low priority with all of the other requests, however, I think this feature would be the one that really kicks cPanel to the curb.

Instead of trying to ever recreate cPanel "DNS Cluster" functionality and having another whole unit that DirectAdmin would need to support, simply have DirectAdmin as an option use external PowerDNS revolvers for DNS. This way DirectAdmin would essentially immediately gain DNS "Clustering" WITH DNSSEC support (something that has been asked of cPanel for YEARS).

DirectAdmin would also then benefit from all of the future PowerDNS updates without needing to maintain another section of code.

I know some people have simply connected DirectAdmin to cPanel DNS clusters, however, I envision cPanel rapidly changing their licensing rules of cPanel DNSONLY after people leave by the boatloads. They will probably either charge for DNSONLY or include 1 DNSONLY license for every paid lciense or something like that to prevent people from using cPanel DNSONLY with DirectAdmin.

I especially have concerns about this as I found about how to link DirectAdmin to cPanel at the WHT forums in a thread, most know cPanel is monitoring.

So first off +1 for native PDNS support...

The guys DevOpsing the cpanel to da dns thing is 3rd party.

Now if you are talking about can it be done now. It sure can I have used PDNS for years as Secondary's. Its fairly easy to set up. I don't have DNSSEC setup currently on DA and PNDS. Connecting DA box/es to PDNS no issues.

On the Price comment....
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58085&p=297400#post297400

The guys DevOpsing the cpanel to da dns thing is 3rd party.

Now if you are talking about can it be done now. It sure can I have used PDNS for years as Secondary's. Its fairly easy to set up. I don't have DNSSEC setup currently on DA and PNDS. Connecting DA box/es to PDNS no issues.

I am aware the cpanel to DA DNS thing is a third party and also aware that essentially using very similar techniques PowerDNS could be connected to DirectAdmin.

I just think DirectAdmin should go this route for a native, supported external DNS feature. It provides the most flexibility, would require minimal additional support resources, and it shouldn't "hurt" DirectAdmin in any way from a competitive advantage perspective. In my eyes, it would actually make it significantly more attractive.

I am aware the cpanel to DA DNS thing is a third party and also aware that essentially using very similar techniques PowerDNS could be connected to DirectAdmin.

I just think DirectAdmin should go this route for a native, supported external DNS feature. It provides the most flexibility, would require minimal additional support resources, and it shouldn't "hurt" DirectAdmin in any way from a competitive advantage perspective. In my eyes, it would actually make it significantly more attractive.
Totally agree. 100% Native PowerDNS would be awesome..

Back