DirectAdmin DNS Cluster Question - cPanel to DirectAdmin

DewlanceVPS

Verified User
Hello,

Current Situation:
On cPanel "Server A" I am using it for Shared Hosting + DNS Cluster.

I disabled local DNS of "Server B" and connect DNS Cluster to "Server A" for DNS service.

What I need to do to complete this task on DirectAdmin?

Thanks.

Not sure I totally follow you.

All of DA Multiserver setups is to https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=138

I think you are talking about option 1
In WHM you can just cluster the nodes together and turn off bind locally on the webservers (per say) and have one dnsonly server or multiples.

I don't think you can do that on DA. If you want to connect all of the DA server to a separate DNS system you can do one of 2 things as far as I know

https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58085
or
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=54992
if you go here you will see the script I updated to get you started
https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=54992&p=296614#post296614

Thanks I forgot that one.

Do you know if you can turn Bind off and still cluster them. Essentially will DA still write out the zone files and send the out to other server even if BIND is off.. I assume that is what this means. "Since this uses the API, nothing is needed to be setup with regards to clustering on server B to get data from server A transfered over to server B."

So in short you could have 6 DA servers all clustered together. 4 with bind off and 2 as Master DNS. Yes?

Last edited:
Hello,

Current Situation:
On cPanel "Server A" I am using it for Shared Hosting + DNS Cluster.

I disabled local DNS of "Server B" and connect DNS Cluster to "Server A" for DNS service.

Is ServerA the primary name server in your cluster? When you add to ServerA, it pushes to the DNS cluster (NS2/Slaves)?

And on ServerB you aren't running local DNS, it receives the update from the primary?

If I'm following you correctly, you'll want to run ServerB as a multi-server and check the options to share your Zones (doing this from ServerA, which would now be DirectAdmin server, to ServerB DirectAdmin). You don't have to use ServerB to do anything else if you just want it to do backup DNS.

Install custombuild, set your messages to go to a good email, set your messages / events to auto delete after 30 days, make sure you secure ServerB if you won't be logging in for a while (SSH port, DA port change, auto updates enabled / custombuild updates enabled), and maybe rkhunter or something to help protect it auto-security... might even help to run Clam type service even if you don't plan on putting a lot of sites on there.

Even as backup DNS it could be at risky for DDoS and then ServerB hack where they could edit/spoof DNS and redirect clients to fake sites.... Not that any of that's going to happen! If anything, you're more secure on DirectAdmin because it's using all the real packages, not some random RPM with "-cpanel" attached to it that you have to wait graciously for the WHM gods to update, while the rest of the world gets real time updates.

Hope this helps. I know a great deal about cPanel, if you can explain in more detail.. I'm doing live migrations cPanel -> DA as I type this. So far so good, I haven't found anything DA can't do that I was doing on cPanel/WHM thus far with these new changes (Icons Grid theme, cpmove restore, etc.).

Thanks I forgot that one.

Do you know if you can turn Bind off and still cluster them. Essentially will DA still write out the zone files and send the out to other server even if BIND is off.. I assume that is what this means. "Since this uses the API, nothing is needed to be setup with regards to clustering on server B to get data from server A transfered over to server B."
So in short you could have 6 DA servers all clustered together. 4 with bind off and 2 as Master DNS. Yes?

After a little testing I figured it out thanks.

Is ServerA the primary name server in your cluster? When you add to ServerA, it pushes to the DNS cluster (NS2/Slaves)?

And on ServerB you aren't running local DNS, it receives the update from the primary?

If I'm following you correctly, you'll want to run ServerB as a multi-server and check the options to share your Zones (doing this from ServerA, which would now be DirectAdmin server, to ServerB DirectAdmin). You don't have to use ServerB to do anything else if you just want it to do backup DNS.

Install custombuild, set your messages to go to a good email, set your messages / events to auto delete after 30 days, make sure you secure ServerB if you won't be logging in for a while (SSH port, DA port change, auto updates enabled / custombuild updates enabled), and maybe rkhunter or something to help protect it auto-security... might even help to run Clam type service even if you don't plan on putting a lot of sites on there.

Even as backup DNS it could be at risky for DDoS and then ServerB hack where they could edit/spoof DNS and redirect clients to fake sites.... Not that any of that's going to happen! If anything, you're more secure on DirectAdmin because it's using all the real packages, not some random RPM with "-cpanel" attached to it that you have to wait graciously for the WHM gods to update, while the rest of the world gets real time updates.

Hope this helps. I know a great deal about cPanel, if you can explain in more detail.. I'm doing live migrations cPanel -> DA as I type this. So far so good, I haven't found anything DA can't do that I was doing on cPanel/WHM thus far with these new changes (Icons Grid theme, cpmove restore, etc.).

Yes, ServerA is Primary nameserver and also hosting website on ServerA.

Hope you understand.

ServerA:
ns1.example.com
ns2.example.com

ServerB:
Connected DNS Cluster to ServerA, Push DNS to ServerA and DNS service on ServerB is disabled.

Client Website:
example-client.tld pointed to:
ns1.example.com
ns2.example.com

Yes, ServerA is Primary nameserver and also hosting website on ServerA.

Hope you understand.

ServerA:
ns1.example.com
ns2.example.com

ServerB:
Connected DNS Cluster to ServerA, Push DNS to ServerA and DNS service on ServerB is disabled.

Client Website:
example-client.tld pointed to:
ns1.example.com
ns2.example.com

If I understand, you'll want to enable the DNS zone / verification under Multi-Server Options so that when ServerA-DA (Primary NS, making DNS changes on new ServerA), it will push DNS to ServerB-DA (multi-server), and I think you can turn DNS off and still have DNS cluster (or restrict it... I think I found a forum post on it)? And when you need a NS3 or another server, you can attach multi-server to it and have it do another task (maybe host just a few websites + DNS backup).

I believe there's a "Lite" smaller DirectAdmin license in the works to help us solve our "DNSONLY" blues and needing quick cheap development platforms with full DirectAdmin included + support.

I believe there's a "Lite" smaller DirectAdmin license in the works to help us solve our "DNSONLY" blues and needing quick cheap development platforms with full DirectAdmin included + support.

OR you could use this now. it works great and I even wrote an auto installer. All you need is one blank centos box.. run the script connect the masters to the slave and bam.. done..

OR you could use this now. it works great and I even wrote an auto installer. All you need is one blank centos box.. run the script connect the masters to the slave and bam.. done..

Nice, I'll have to check this out for our additional NS.

Partially why I've been waiting on the OEM smaller license is:

1) More Support
2) "Native"
3) Flexibility
(With full DA (like cPanel DNSONLY), we can easily turn a DNS slave into full production if there was an emergency)

1) More Support
2) "Native"
3) Flexibility
(With full DA (like cPanel DNSONLY), we can easily turn a DNS slave into full production if there was an emergency)

All true..

Back