Centos Debian FreeBSD

katycomputer

Verified User
Does supporting Centos Debian & FreeBSD constrict DirectAdmin's ability to add new features, stay up to date with updates etc?

It seems like it would, but I am a sysadmin, not a programmer. If this was my environment, I would insist on Centos7, then 3 months after Centos8, move to 8.

Just curious.

Does supporting Centos Debian & FreeBSD constrict DirectAdmin's ability to add new features, stay up to date with updates etc?

It shouldn't, no. DirectAdmin runs "on top" of things, not inside. This is likely going to be a frequent question from ex-cPanel users.

Remember when cPanel supported more than just Linux? Regardless of the Operating System, standard things like Apache, Litespeed, Exim, etc. are going to work the same regardless (with a few caveats). This allows software like DA to write something once for the most part, and have it work cross-platform. This is in contrast to where cPanel slowly headed over the years, with specialized RPMS and "-cpanel" packages where you're at their mercy for critical updates.

As an old FreeBSD (and OpenBSD) guy from back in the day (1999+), I'm so happy to see DirectAdmin runs on FreeBSD 12 ZFS. I will be honest with you, I went with CentOS 7 (like our old cPanel) just for the ease of our existing scripts working. I plan on slowly migrating some of our more important, heavier clients to DirectAdmin-FreeBSD very soon so that not only will I have a mix (why not, it supports it!), but I personally prefer BSD over Linux these days for web servers.

Back