Calendar, Contacts & Push Email

gao

tl;dr: I hope Direct Admin can implement Active Sync support for push-mail, calendar, and contacts.

I'm a cPanel user. Since my hosting provider is moving to DirectAdmin, I'd like to offer a few feature suggestion that is available under cPanel but not under Direct Admin

1. Push Email.
cPanel and Plesk support Push Email through iOS APN and IMAP-Push, I think it'll be a good idea for DirectAdmin to use something similar to SOGo - using Exchange protocol that also supports email push on iPhone and Android.

Push email is nice because you 1)save battery life on cell phone 2)receives notification once the mail is arrived

2. Calendar & Contacts

Calendar & Contacts in cPanel is synced through Caldav and Carddav. While Caldav and Carddav is clearly not the best option, it is better than nothing. iOS also supports Microsoft Active Sync (Exchange Protocol) to sync Calendar and Contacts and I think that's a better option

Martynas suggested to implement JMAP - JMAP is certainly the future, but unfortunately currently no iOS/Mac app supports it. I am a big fan of the desktop outlook client, and even that only supports the exchange protocol and IMAP.

Thank you!

Hello,

As far as I know SOGo does not support IMAP auth, and uses either LDAP or SQL for authentication, which are not used on Directadmin servers. Dovecot/Exim which are running on DirectAdmin servers use text-based files to store user lists and passwords.

Hardly DirectAdmin developers will move user credentials to MySQL. So I believe a custom solution is required here.

Hello,

As far as I know SOGo does not support IMAP auth, and uses either LDAP or SQL for authentication, which are not used on Directadmin servers. Dovecot/Exim which are running on DirectAdmin servers use text-based files to store user lists and passwords.

Hardly DirectAdmin developers will move user credentials to MySQL. So I believe a custom solution is required here.

Hi Alex,

How about OpenXChange/Zimbra/Kopano?

Thank you!

These items are User Applications. They are all already available for any user to implement. They are not bound to Directadmin. They all have their own set of requirements and server needs. I am sure if your provider wants to offer these services to you they will work that out.

https://oxpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=AppSuite:OX_System_Requirements

https://zimbra.github.io/installguides/latest/single.html#System_Requirements

Hey,

The point is to have something that goes with DirectAdmin. A custom solution is certainly feasible, however, upgrading might 'break' things. cPanel comes with everything (email push, caldav+carddav via sabre which is also a user application) all bundled together. I'm just wondering if directadmin can do the same.

Right now this is also becoming an issue because for cPanel to successfully migrate to Directadmin, you'll need a similar feature set. Right now directadmin has no calendar & contacts support.

Right now this is also becoming an issue because for cPanel to successfully migrate to Directadmin, you'll need a similar feature set.

That is up to your host. If they choose for some business reason to move to DA. They must realize DA is not the same company, software, architecture and so on as cPanel. So the feature set won't be the same... if it was it would be cPanel.

Right now directadmin has no calendar & contacts support.

If you the user prefer cPanel (as many do) it is a choice for you to choose. There are lots of cPanel Hosters out there. Anyway current state is what it is. DA has contacts built in to Roundcube the webmail program. I think you mean Cardav or caldav which DA does not have.

It sounds more like you as a user have to choose more than anything.

The last thing I will add thanks for your view. Most people on this forum are Hosters not users.

As a hosters point of view: Being able to offer Activesync through DA would be a very nice feature to offer to my clients. it would mean i could compete with 365 business essentials instead of having to resell that.

Back