A few weeks in with DirectAdmin and my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I left Cpanel back in 2004, I have used Plesk in the past but did not like it.

I always thought in my opinion that Cpanel was bloated so I started looking for another CP to use found a host back in 2004 who was using DA, so I was setup with a reseller account and loved it.

I purchased my first Owned DA license in 2005 and have never looked back, forum is a great asset for learning, regarding the forum software, I am used to the layout of vBulletin I know it is old...but I also prefer using the old enhanced skin in DA:)

I hear ya. I like old cars, old money, older women and not older software... I am in the keep it all updated and modern looking... stay safe mate.

My 'newest' car is from '73, but updated with some newer tech stuff.
Maybe that's why I like phpBB... ;)
I hang around a number of forums, and most of them are really old (UBBthreads & WebWiz), and have some really bad quirks. Or maybe it's just the admin's don't bother or know how to safely update it and add new and useful tech-options without breaking everything.
As for vBulletin, I've learned to 'accept it', but I think it borders bloatyness.

My first encounter with a domainpanel many years ago was cPanel as a user.
I liked it and it's ease of use.
Shortly after, my reseller switched servers and I ended up with Plesk... wow... what a nightmare. Started to dislike it very quickly and very much.
I switched reseller and ended up using DA as a sub-reseller. As a reseller myself now, I found its use as pleasant as cPanel was at the time.

At one time I had the desire to 'go in' a little deeper so I got a VPS to play around with a bit. But I had to start using my VPS much quicker then I anticipated and that's when a very steep learning curve had to be followed.

I hear ya. I like old cars, old money, older women and not older software... I am in the keep it all updated and modern looking... stay safe mate.

Me to mate, all my DA servers are all kept up to date along with yum updates, I just like the old enhanced skin... [I am sure a few of the old members would also be using the old skin] :D.. I am an old creature of habit:)

Last edited:
My 'newest' car is from '73, but updated with some newer tech stuff.
Maybe that's why I like phpBB... ;)
I hang around a number of forums, and most of them are really old (UBBthreads & WebWiz), and have some really bad quirks. Or maybe it's just the admin's don't bother or know how to safely update it and add new and useful tech-options without breaking everything.
As for vBulletin, I've learned to 'accept it', but I think it borders bloatyness.

My first encounter with a domainpanel many years ago was cPanel as a user.
I liked it and it's ease of use.
Shortly after, my reseller switched servers and I ended up with Plesk... wow... what a nightmare. Started to dislike it very quickly and very much.
I switched reseller and ended up using DA as a sub-reseller. As a reseller myself now, I found its use as pleasant as cPanel was at the time.

At one time I had the desire to 'go in' a little deeper so I got a VPS to play around with a bit. But I had to start using my VPS much quicker then I anticipated and that's when a very steep learning curve had to be followed.

BBM
I had a 73 camero with a corvette 350 4 bolt main and 292 cam.. The next old car I want is a 53 pontiac cheiftain...

Me to mate, all my DA servers are all kept up to date along with yum updates, I just like the old enhanced skin... [I am sure a few of the old members would also be using the old skin] :D.. I am an old creature of habit:)

I hear you I am old as well..

Agreed also Auto Login to phpmyadmin and webmail, i think everyone need this :)

Maybe it's important to others but for me, not at all because:

I use different URL to phpmyadmin and webmail, and also I put extra layer htpasswd inorder to bypass the login screen (both phpmyadmin and webmail). So I think there gonna be issue with my current setup if this is implemented. But, I like this idea too but for the auto login thing.. why not use the Google Autofill password? I use it all the time... it's fast. Just one click button..

If auto login is implemented, maybe the login session of phpmyadmin and webmail need to be exposed publicly to communicate between pages because phpmyadmin and roundcube are 3rd party apps, so I think it's gonna be security risk. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
and I ended up with Plesk... wow... what a nightmare.
I just stopped using Plesk Webadmin Edition on a VPS I administered for a friend with a forum. Forum moved to shared hosting with DA and VPS cancelled.
Plesk improved al ot over the years, also has auto OS and Plesk update kind of like cPanel has. However, administration could still be more clear and sorted better. I still don't like it.
In spite of the improvement it's still a fuzz and the worst thing imho is that is does not support Clamav at all. They find they provide enough good solutions... but they are all payed modules and lack options that clamav has. They also do not have a csf/lfd plugin which even webmin has, because there was a request and not enough people answered so "there was a lack of interest". Totally forgetting that most users probably don't even use the forums. We had to install webmin, to have a csf GUI for my friend. I do console so no issue there, but it's odd that they still don't have it after 5 years of asking.
And there were some minor things unneeded complex to work with.
So been there and done that recently and it's improved but I still dislike it. To keep in you kind of statement I can say it went from a nightmare to a bad sleep. DA is much more customizable and user friendly imho.

@VMH-Khan: auto login? No thank you. There are feature requests for it you can support. But there are also more like maxi32 and me which voted against it.

@VMH-Khan: auto login? No thank you. There are feature requests for it you can support. But there are also more like maxi32 and me which voted against it.

Maybe it's important to others but for me, not at all because:

I use different URL to phpmyadmin and webmail, and also I put extra layer htpasswd inorder to bypass the login screen (both phpmyadmin and webmail). So I think there gonna be issue with my current setup if this is implemented. But, I like this idea too but for the auto login thing.. why not use the Google Autofill password? I use it all the time... it's fast. Just one click button..

If auto login is implemented, maybe the login session of phpmyadmin and webmail need to be exposed publicly to communicate between pages because phpmyadmin and roundcube are 3rd party apps, so I think it's gonna be security risk. Just my opinion.

It should be control from admin, for those who want to use AutoLogin can enable it, otherwise as shared hosting provider we notice user have no issues when we move from cpanel to DA but we got several tickets about "login issues" for webmail and phpmyadmin

I have had a directadmin for the last 6 years but I am not a server admin , never could settle in directadmin with peace of mind but I am sure it is a great software for those who are a server admin not some body like me. I am just a free lancer with a few sites.

Hello bdacus01!

I think this is a good topic for debate. I was using cpanel for over 17 years and it is hard for me to get used to Directadmin. Many times, I have to contact support to ask how do I do this? How do I install the other?

I would like more to have options like on/off for many of the configurations that you have commented.

Right now, my main problem is with SSL certificates. If a domain is not pointing to the server, it generates an error when restarting apache and all sites remain offline. I hope there is a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back