Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Direct login to any email account as administrator

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19

    Direct login to any email account as administrator

    Copy the cpanel feature to login as user to his mailbox without putting the user and password.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    347
    I think I misunderstood. I thought you wanted your Users to be able to log in to their email automatically. Your post sounds like you want to Read your users Email. Which is an invasion of Privacy and Illegal in most countries. I am with ditto if that is what you mean.

    Otherwise you need to rephrase (edit) your post.
    Last edited by bdacus01; 07-17-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Thanks,
    Brent Dacus
    Just a regular guy from Tennessee

    CentOS 7 | DA | CB 2.0 | MariaDB 10.4 | PHP 7.2

    help me...it's HERE or Type "your issue your os directadmin" in google


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19
    Yes, thank you, I only opened this thread because support toll me to "vote" for this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,345
    -1, I do not want the feature to be implemented. A hosting provider should never login to a customer email account without consent from the customer, and when giving consent the customer can share the password and change it afterwards.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maastricht
    Posts
    3,923
    Yes, thank you, I only opened this thread because support toll me to "vote" for this.
    Voting is something else then creating a new topic.
    Check the feature request section, there is already a request for this. Best is to indeed vote there, so reply with a +1 or something like that.

    Best is not to have different request for the same thing:
    Check
    http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58099
    and/or
    http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58088
    and add your vote there.

    @Ditto: Agreed, I had the same argument, but the counter argument against this was that any admin always can read users mail if he wants, also on a DA server. On Cpanel this login option is a default. I don't like it either, but nobody cares. They think it's more easy to give support that way.
    Greetings, Richard.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    56

    SgYRJC

    Quote Originally Posted by ditto View Post
    -1, I do not want the feature to be implemented. A hosting provider should never login to a customer email account without consent from the customer, and when giving consent the customer can share the password and change it afterwards.
    Any one with access to your panel can read your mail - from file manager for example, (you can test it open it and browse mail dir where the mail is ) it is just no so convenient and file manager even look like mail program

    then you can test it with ftp no locked to domain folder (or even it is, some one can use it to upload php /cgi shell - same thing happens when they hack WP site ) or they can trough normal trough shell with cat / nano / mc

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielP View Post
    Any one with access to your panel can read your mail - from file manager for example, (you can test it open it and browse mail dir where the mail is ) it is just no so convenient and file manager even look like mail program

    then you can test it with ftp no locked to domain folder (or even it is, some one can use it to upload php /cgi shell - same thing happens when they hack WP site ) or they can trough normal trough shell with cat / nano / mc

    -1
    You can do allot of things as admin or root. That doesn't mean you should or it needs to be easy. With great power comes great responsibility. There are a lot more important things we need than this. Also you are using illegal activity in you reasoning. If someone hacks the box its lost anyway. I am with @ditto and @Richard G
    Thanks,
    Brent Dacus
    Just a regular guy from Tennessee

    CentOS 7 | DA | CB 2.0 | MariaDB 10.4 | PHP 7.2

    help me...it's HERE or Type "your issue your os directadmin" in google


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    56
    @PMbdacus01

    I mean you can do it as user too

    auto login will work for logged into the user panel if someone is logged in he / she / them can easily can read the mail even without auto login or special skills

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielP View Post
    @PMbdacus01

    I mean you can do it as user too

    auto login will work for logged into the user panel if someone is logged in he / she / them can easily can read the mail even without auto login or special skills
    I still don't see your point of this is a high priority issue. This post is for a admin reading someone else mail... please stay on topic. We are not debating we are voting..
    Thanks,
    Brent Dacus
    Just a regular guy from Tennessee

    CentOS 7 | DA | CB 2.0 | MariaDB 10.4 | PHP 7.2

    help me...it's HERE or Type "your issue your os directadmin" in google


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maastricht
    Posts
    3,923
    I mean you can do it as user too
    Yes, only for that users own account. Not related to the question though.

    Still a -1 from me.

    But a +1 if it would be a switchable option, off by default.
    Greetings, Richard.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    259
    This is something that isn't necessary, cpanel users should just get used that some things will work differently with directadmin.

    -1

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands Germany
    Posts
    494
    -1

    while then more risk for https://eugdpr.org/ beeing not complaint. ( extra Auditing is needed then and more! )
    DUTCH GERMAN, GERMAN DUTCH

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ditto View Post
    -1, I do not want the feature to be implemented. A hosting provider should never login to a customer email account without consent from the customer, and when giving consent the customer can share the password and change it afterwards.
    I think this feature will not invade privacy because of you can read email of customer from console or using any other inbuilt software.

    However direct login as administrator to customer email can give us option to fix their issues quickly instead of waiting for their response, resetting email password, etc.

    However, DA is not cpanel and DA have unique features but everything depend on DA developers.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    9
    I rarely used this feature in cPanel as an admin.

    When I get support request says email is not working, then I usually create a test email account.

    Because most of the time, the issue would be related to DNS settings.

    However, from the user level account, it is a Good to Have feature so the users can log in quickly.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceVPS View Post
    I think this feature will not invade privacy because of you can read email of customer from console or using any other inbuilt software.

    However direct login as administrator to customer email can give us option to fix their issues quickly instead of waiting for their response, resetting email password, etc.

    However, DA is not cpanel and DA have unique features but everything depend on DA developers.
    I am sure different countries have different laws and customs.. Also to be clear here we are speaking about just going in to some customers account and reading their personal email with out them knowing or giving consent. You want an easier way to do this?? Doing something you should not be doing. Doing this in USA will get you sued and possible criminal charges filed. This would be like you going over to some random persons home opening their Post mail and reading it.

    BTW I want you to know Mail is printed on paper so its readily available and common so just go do it...I mean its there you can physically go to you neighbors mail box and pull out his mail and read it. This is the argument..?

    So -1 still..
    Thanks,
    Brent Dacus
    Just a regular guy from Tennessee

    CentOS 7 | DA | CB 2.0 | MariaDB 10.4 | PHP 7.2

    help me...it's HERE or Type "your issue your os directadmin" in google


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maastricht
    Posts
    3,923
    However, from the user level account, it is a Good to Have feature so the users can log in quickly.
    Not really an argument, because they have to use the cpanel login credentials then anyway. In that case it's the same as if they login to webmail directly with the credentials. Only difference is when they are having multiple accounts.
    As DA admin and also Cpanel admin in our case most of our users rarely visit mail via the panel. They almost exclusively use e-mail clients for their mail.
    Greetings, Richard.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19
    This is the only feature my customers are missing from cpanel, so I vote +1.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by aitorserra View Post
    This is the only feature my customers are missing from cpanel, so I vote +1.
    This feature request is for admins not users. I think you meant another post.
    Thanks,
    Brent Dacus
    Just a regular guy from Tennessee

    CentOS 7 | DA | CB 2.0 | MariaDB 10.4 | PHP 7.2

    help me...it's HERE or Type "your issue your os directadmin" in google


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    19
    When I say "users" I mean "customers". So there are "customers" that manage various accounts and want this feature. +1

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    + 1 for the feature. Absolutely necessary.
    It can be switchable.
    Users can be explained what is needed for the email support issue to be solved - if the case is a direct email access - it can be obtained only after an user permission.
    For those with the GDPR concerns - the feature is there in cPanel for years so stop that ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •