Password reset email from Instagram does not arrive

Sygmoral

Verified User
I realize this seems like a very specific thing, but please bear with me :)

* I am coordinating World Cleanup Day in Belgium, and also happen to have a web server running DirectAdmin, so I installed the website on that server.
* About one year ago, an Instagram account was created with email address [email protected]. That email used to be hosted elsewhere.
* Now, I host this mailbox via DirectAdmin. It works perfectly fine when we send emails to it (!), emails arrive instantly.
* We have no idea anymore what the password is for the Instagram account, so we request a password reset from this page. We quadruple-verify that Instagram does indeed (claim to) send the email to [email protected].
* Nothing arrives.
* We waited. We started trying this on Tuesday evening; surely an email shouldn't take two days to arrive.
* I fully disabled Spamassassin (already on Tuesday). Still, nothing arrives.

Note: the DNS settings are hosted at Cloudflare, but I can't imagine that can truly be an issue because the MX record point directly to my server's IP address.

I am at a loss, so I am hoping to hear suggestions here. In fact, that email address is not used very often anymore (since we moved to simply worldcleanupday.be), so I'm happy to try any crazy idea to be able to simply receive that one single email from Instagram .... because otherwise the followers we have on that account is lost to us forever!

if you go to intodns.com
and put in your domain name.

you will see there is something wrong with your MX records.

https://intodns.com/worldcleanupdaybelgium.be

Code:
MX is not IP                 ERROR: Some of your MX records returned by your  nameservers are IP addresses. This is not ok per the RFCs and you should  change them.                 
The problem records are:                 
                                         [B]IP redacted [/B]
                                         This can cause problems !

Also your reverse name doesn't point to the domainname worldcleanupdaybelgium.be it points to some other name. which in most cases should be ok. But with Email the way it is these days you might look at that too..

Start there

Your are not on a blacklist I can see..

https://www.senderscore.org/lookup.php?lookup=worldcleanupdaybelgium.be&validLookup=true

Looks like you dont have and spf record... big deal.

go here https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=207

this should help you in general. Just make sure you have one.

Last edited:
Hello,

Here is what I have when try to send an email to you:

all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts or (invalidly) to IP addresses

As Brent has already mentioned you need to correct your MX record. It should be:

Code:
worldcleanupdaybelgium.be. MX 10 mail.[COLOR=#417394]worldcleanupdaybelgium.be.

and then create A-type record for [/COLOR]mail.worldcleanupdaybelgium.be using direct mode, without proxying at CloudFlare.

Hello,

Here is what I have when try to send an email to you:

all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts or (invalidly) to IP addresses

As Brent has already mentioned you need to correct your MX record. It should be:

Code:
worldcleanupdaybelgium.be. MX 10 mail.[COLOR=#417394]worldcleanupdaybelgium.be.[/COLOR]

and then create A-type record for
mail.worldcleanupdaybelgium.be using direct mode, without proxying at CloudFlare.
Thanks Alex

Its pretty clear to me to.. Glad you agree.

Thank you both very much for your answers! It's great to know I could count on you :)

(I already thought the MX record was unusual, but I am not directly in control of those settings -- I have forwarded it to the domain admin)

Thank you both very much for your answers! It's great to know I could count on you :)

(I already thought the MX record was unusual, but I am not directly in control of those settings -- I have forwarded it to the domain admin)
Always and anytime.

Back